Mike Rowe Comments on Glenn Beck, Bill Maher, Dialogue

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jul 15, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

When did I say anything about feelings or making money makes others poor? I have no idea how you made that leap.

I do think it's crazy to think drug addiction hurts only the abuser.

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Amen brother Skelton

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

You a New York Times man or strictly WSJ?

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If they're not hurting others or their property, what should be done? Addiction to tobacco hurts others as well, I'm sure you're not willing to make that illegal.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

wall street journal, investors business daily, la times (bad habit), sf chronicle (really bad habit), washington post, and i go to foxnews.com, cnn.com, google news, etc.

btw i'm not suggesting i read all of them cover to cover at all.

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I've never heard of someone stealing a stereo to buy a pack of smokes.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

News as entertainment, i.e. for a profit, has been the most damaging concept to emerge in terms of keeping people informed and educated on the issues at hand. And, there's one source where this all came from.......CNN. Once they had a business model that succeeded in focusing on certain events of "human interest", starting with the Baby Jessica saga, and not on the real news of the world, then it went to shit and now we have a cacophony of tv networks yelling at us about nonsense.

The only recent show that I've seen actually do hard-hitting investigative work to inform people rather than simply entertain people with 14 hours talking about the Kardashian wedding is Vice on HBO.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there just isn't enough legit news to fill the day. last time i watched fox news they literally repeated every news story over and over again. i also find it funny cnn.com and foxnews.com both now have links to "see x celebrity in her new bikini!"

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is what I find to be maddening - there isn't enough news to fill every day, but there's a helluva lot of in-depth looks and robust discussions to be had, and on any number of issues.

10. Unimane

CNN used to do investigative reports. I remember them. I specifically remember them doing a two hour special on Osama Bin Laden and al-Qaeda a year before 9/11.

Otherwise, I don't mind the existence of a Fox News, but I don't like the idea of them selling themselves as a straight news organization and, worse, being the worst news channel for presenting factual information. I can respect the right wing internet sites like Breitbart or even a World Net Daily for, at least, being honest with what they are. CNN is as bad as Fox mainly because they are bland caricature of what they once were for a short time and are too concerned with celebrity news. I can't even remember the last time I tuned into MSNBC.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Celebrity news is my pet peeve. It's trash.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems like fox is an awful lot more transparent about their leanings than say msnbc or the new york times or the la times.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don't mind the bikini photos

14. Unimane

Not really. I hear all the time that the news portion of Fox News is straight news, separate from the pundit shows. The NY Times is far more informative and reliable as a news source. Like I said, I don't mind that Fox is right leaning, but, when they are consistently behind other news sources in terms of correct knowledge and information regarding news events, then it's a problem.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what's your evidence they are "consistently behind other news sources in terms of correct knowledge and information regarding news events?"

16. Unimane

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

funny sets of issues for proof.

18. JayVols

I never said that some things shouldn't be decriminalized. I'm good with that. But I do think it should most definitely not be a free-for-all. Tobacco is highly regulated- who can buy it, where you can use it, etc. I'm cool with that. I'm even ok with me paying a higher insurance premium as a dipper (and I do pay more) because my behavior is a choice & has great potential to raise the costs for others. Yes. I do feel that we have responsibilities when living in our society. Maybe I care too much about others, but that's how I feel.

What you seem unwilling to admit is that there's no such thing as "not hurting anyone else" the majority of the time. Not a knock on you at all, man. You should know that I think you're a good dude, but Libertarianism seems like a bigger delusional fantasy that a liberal utopian fantasy. I really don't get it & I never will. Believe me, I've tried.

19. JayVols

You're certainly not Sarah Palin.

20. JayVols

Pretty dang spot-on.