Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 12, 2013.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

They are using the word "undocumented" rather than "illegal" now.

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Not at the national level. The Republican Party would be more than happy to accept these people at the tax payers expense if they thought they would vote for them. Just look at the defense budget vote buying.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've already seen the word "refugee" thrown around a few times.

4. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

One more step.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'm talking about the parties and politicians.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

They also relieved baby daddy of that onerous responsibility of having to provide for children

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Let's just start simple. How often do the Republicans even bother to go into these communities and sell their ideas anymore? How well do they counter the idea amongst Hispanics that they are being vilified by the right wing to even sell their ideas against Big Government? You really believe this nonsense that Hispanics used to vote in much higher numbers for Republicans and then figured out that they weren't going to be allowed to be on the take by them and switched? You really don't think there is a sizeable group of people who might be amenable to the idea of lower taxes or a number of other Republican ideas? Really?

Again, they used to vote in much higher numbers for Republicans. What changed?

8. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I guess having AA's and Hispanic candidates in these areas mean nothing?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

How are the democrats "selling their ideas" in these communities? give me an example. No i don't think people who don't pay taxes are generally inclined to care about how much other people are paying.

10. Unimane

You still haven't answered my question of why the numbers for voting Republican have dropped considerably. If it were merely a case of vote buying with social programs, then there's no reason they were voting Republican in the first place. It's not like either party has done a 180 on any of their stances there in decades.

11. Unimane

Not many candidates, in my experience.

Look, I understand the concept of shoring up your base, getting out the vote and strengthening traditionally strong areas of your political strongholds while not wasting much time and energy in places not typically a part of your constituency. However, to then whine about how these places only vote against you for nefarious reasons when you've done little as a party to cultivate these votes in disingenuous and utter horsecrap.

It's the same type of whining liberals do in regards to rural Kansas, or wherever they don't bother to spread their message or just accuse them of being too stupid to vote for them. This idea that people vote against the way you want them to only because they are stupid or they have underhanded motivations to do so is hogwash.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

because a generation ago hispanics were far more concerned with things like abortion than they were social programs. that's changed. take a look at the teen pregnancy rate in that community compared to 20 years ago. i'm still waiting for all those things that the democrats have done for the community. surely you can come up with one example.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

once again how are the democrats "cultivating votes?"

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how is it being stupid or having underhanded movitations to vote for the people who put the money in your pocket?

15. Unimane

2004 is a generation ago? Was their some kind of mass purge of Hispanic people that has occurred since then? Clearly, though, immigration has been a major factor in the turn towards a solidly Democratic voting bloc, not helped by ideas of "electrified fences" and the like.

The funny thing in all of this is, with a wife who went through the lengthy legal process of immigration, I have more sympathy for the anti-illegal immigration (or however one wants to call it) crowd than one would think for me being a hyper liberal. However, to me, it's quite clear that the Republicans have been marketing themselves poorly in the Hispanic community for awhile now.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's a misnomer that all hispanics are pro illegal immigration. the LA times did a survey recently that showed that most older hispanics are against it and most young hispanics are in favor of decriminalizing it. they will vote strongly towards racial lines. this is how an absolute retard like villaraigosa can become major of los angeles.

you still haven't explained how the democrats are "marketing" properly? how do you suggest the republicans "market" like the democrats?

17. Unimane

You mean the idea expressed that these people put money in their pocket at the expense of others isn't a theory based upon underhanded motivations? You don't think it's a little self-serving and self-righteous to think that people vote the opposite of you only because they are stupid or have motivations of taking something from you?

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i very much doubt that people taking the money are overly concerned with the rich bastards who are paying for it. obama and the democrats have done a great job villifying anyone who makes money in this country. I'm not delusional enough to believe that a big reason many rich people vote republican is because they don't want to pay more in taxes. not sure why you are so delusional in the other direction.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Appears inner-city and homeless folks are getting annoyed by the sudden way we're helping these ille...........undocu............refugees out.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator