I want CFB Chaos this weekend....

Discussion in 'Sports' started by DownNDirty, Dec 3, 2014.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

They dropped to number 4 with no losses. I don't see them getting in with one.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think FSU wins, just have that dumbass luck that lasts until they play a really good team and get the shit kicked out of them. Wisconsin is probably the best bet as they always play the Buckeyes really tough, same deal with Arizona. Baylor has a good shot at going down, too. Missouri has as much a chance as Worley does at beating out Aaron Rodgers for starting QB of the Packers next year. Or, hell, beating out Blake Bortles.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

FSU doesn't have dumb luck; FSU has a dumb coach.* In every game FSU has played -- and I've watched every snap of about five of them -- you'll see a few scenes of absolutely brilliant football. The fact that the movie as a whole is always "meh" is the fault of the coaches for not getting a very talented team prepared and ready to execute from the word go. Winston's arm is still damn amazing. Cook might (might....Fournette is real good too) be the best RB from the best class of RBs in recent memory (Hurd is like sixth best). They lost some great receiving talent to the draft, but they still have one flat out stud whose name I'm not looking up and they ave the O'Leary kid who is an elite TE with crazy good hands.

It isn't luck with FSU. It's less-than-fully-realized-potential manifested. It's a highly talked about new drama. Runs every Saturday.

To be clear, FSU will get its ass handed to them in the first round of the playoff no matter what, and they may or may not lose to GT, but they may or may not lose to GT.

It has little to do with Wiscy "always playing the Buckeyes tough"**, and more to do with them losing their QB and not having a good enough defense to take that kind of hit.

I'm not tossing down mad coin on Baylor against Snyder, because Snyder is a badass like that, but Baylor will win this game.

I do agree with the last part.

*And a QB suspected of shaving points.
    **This line of reasoning has a chapter in the "worst. arguments. ever." reference guide that I'm compiling for future publication.

4. kidbourbon

Also, y'all are aware that Wiscy is a 5 point favorite against tOSU, yes?

Also, can we all please use tOSU and not OSU, and especially when another OSU plays a big game this weekend as well?

[​IMG]

5. Unimane

1. So, FSU getting the benefit of a bullshit penalty on a wining TD versus Notre Dame or the Florida kicker suddenly starts missing FGs isn't lucky, among other shit happening? No one's doubting they are good, but they live on a razor's edge every week and are extremely fortunate to have no losses this season. Extremely fortunate and it's not just because they are talented.

2. "Worst argument ever"? You act like you've never heard of the concept until I brought it up here. Surely, you've played sports before, competitively and had teams that you, or they, always played tight, no matter the circumstances. If not, then let me tell you that factor (and it's just one factor) does exist in sports. Call it psychological, stylistic matchups whatever, but to say it doesn't exist is baloney, much less the "worst argument ever". Besides, it's far less idiotic than to subscribe to the idea that FSU games are close because the QB is point shaving. I mean, if we're just making bullshit out of thin air....

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  6. Unimane

There's absolutely no ****ing way I'm ever using "tOSU", in any form, ever.

7. kidbourbon

Cherry picking luck works 100% of the time, all the time.. Great work, counselor.

Except that the teams are meaningfully different every year, smart guy. The "Federer just can't beat Nadal" thing doesn't quite hold up when "Federer" and "Nadal" are one-off deals. Way to consider that before writing. Biggie ups. There's a whole chapter allocated. It's cool.

8. kidbourbon

It grows on you.

9. Unimane

I'm from Big Ten country. No, it doesn't.

10. kidbourbon

If you don't use "tOSU" each and every time you refer to the university in question, then how will fans of tOSU ever figure out how ridiculous it sounds when they say it?

11. Unimane

1. I don't need to cherry pick. I just really need one example to prove they were lucky to be undefeated. Since they unjustly got a very fortunate call for them against Notre Dame, then, yes they are lucky to be undefeated. Regardless, teams that play with fire week in and week out generally seem to have their good fortune run out in a big way. So it will be with FSU.

2. Yes, that's exactly why Tennessee never had psychological issues with Florida for most of the 90s, because they had new players and it was a clean slate each year. Oh wait, they did get mind-****ed every year. How is that possible? How did that mental block coincidentally happen to Tennessee for half a decade?

Seriously, have you ever played competitive sports?

12. Unimane

You act like they aren't conceited *******s who revel in this absurd notion that adding "the" before their name adds the air of exceptionality which they believe they posses and doesn't make them immune to any sort of conception of ridiculousness of using the article.

13. kidbourbon

Refer to my response above.

Refer to my response above, and append with "Tennessee never had, and still doesn't have, psychological problems with Florida."

Yes.

14. kidbourbon

The two I'm friends with never had any problem picking up on the mocking component.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You are never convincing me that Fulmer wasn't absolutely mind ****ed by Spurrier. Certainly not by just declaring it to be so.

16. Unimane

Then you have found the equivalents of Willy Wonka's golden ticket. Still, I'm not sure how this helps using "the" here, among a bunch of UT fans. I refuse, regardless, so I guess mass chaos will reign.

17. Unimane

No psychological issues? Not even any indication there was one? Not even when Fulmer decided to leave early for Gainesville to "get acclimated to the weather"?

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Fulmer was scared shitless when it came to Spurrier

19. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

How about fOSU to delineate? Just flip the t upside down. Fair compromise?

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Agreed