Who is the best musician in the last ten years?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by WM, Oct 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily know that it's that bold. Stankonia makes pretty high appearances on a lot of "best album of all time" lists, and it isn't even my favorite album by them.

Another reason why it isn't bold is that OutKast is my all-time favorite group, regardless of genre. And I won't go off on a diatribe here, but if you gave me 15 minutes I think I could convince you that analyzing music based on any factor other than, roughly: "does it hit you" "does it move you" "does it initially blow your mind" "does it continue to blow your mind", is a completely superficial and fairly ridicuous exercise. I hate music critics. I mostly hate hipsters. Why? They don't listen to music and like what they like. They think about whether they should be liking what they're listening to. They listen to music, run it through a pattern recognition routine in their brain where they match up what they just heard with what they believe or have been convinced is good. I don't think that is how music should be consumed.

Analogy: when I see a hot girl I don't have to think about whether she is hot. My inner caveman works really fast. Faster than even my brain can work. If a hot girl is walking towards me, my inner caveman knows it's a hot girl before my brain even has time to process that I'm actually looking at a female. This is terribly difficult to articulate, but I think you know what I'm saying. Females, on the other hand, when they try to assess whether a girl is attractive, they look at the girl, make note of her various characteristics, match that up with what they believe to be the characteristics of an attractive female, and base their assessment on that. So if I see a girl and she gives me movement, she's hot. There is no thinking involved. 10,000 years of evolution produce an inner cavemen that either makes my junk move when I see her or not. And if a girl passes my movement test and some other chick says that girl isn't hot? Who is right? Well of course I'm right because her test is [dadgum] meaningless.

Back to music. The only thing that matters is whether it moves when you hear it. I refuse to analyze music. I think it is beside the point. As a result, a question like: who is the most talented musician is a highly subjective one. You could tell me that [uck fay]ing Nickelback was the most talented musician. If you actually believed that, then you're right. Now, of course that means you're probably a huge douche and I wouldn't hang out with you. But if Nickelback moves you....then that answer is acceptable.

OutKast does it for me. They have blown my mind time and time again. I hope they get back together.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That "continue to blow your mind" part is where you and I depart. I like a good bit of their stuff, but it has a way of getting really old to me.

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I like Angels and Airwaves. Plus 44 I like better though. Box Car Racer is also pretty good.

4. kidbourbon

To each their own.

5. kidbourbon

I haven't heard any of Plus 44 or Box Car Racer. I'm sure they are both good given the overlapping members and such. But I doubt I would like them as much as Angels and Airwaves. My favorite song by blink-182 is "I Miss You", which is a song that strays away a good bit from "classic" blink-182 sound. I gravitated towards Angels and Airwaves because it sounded more like "I Miss You".

6. WM

WM Active Member

Been trying to listen to Mumford And Sons lately. It's just not sticking with me.

7. kidbourbon

I wasn't feeling it either. I gave it an honest try. That's all you can do. There are a lot of "great" bands I tried and never really dug. Radiohead is probably the best example. I gave them a fair shake, but it just wasn't hitting me.