Jon Gruden

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 27, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You have smart friends.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Why the hell would Jim Haslam say no?

3. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

And Haslam didn't want Gruden because...Gruden wanted too much control ?

4. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

He supposedly does not want UT to be known as a "mercenary football school" like Bama, but as an "academic school" like UVA.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Because, you know, both cannot be true.

6. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

ok.. i guess i just repressed too many memories of the gruden thing and jones' hiring. apologies to those who remember the inside stuff better than i.

.. but there's still time...

gruden...
    pale horse...
    ...death following in his wake...

we lose to uf, ark, uga, bama and kentucky, the team could be so depressed that we drop sakerlina, too.

you gotta figure that armageddon just can't be stopped at that point... buyout or no buyout.

7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Lol

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Wait... TURN gay?

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That shit went out the window when they hired a young smartass Kiffin.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Has anyone told Big Jim that Alabama is consistently ranked higher than UT academically? And has better football?

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

And Florida.

12. RockyHill

And Georgia.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That seems to fall on deaf ears.

There is no better recruiting tool for students than to have your football or basketball program splashed all over the place.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

And when was the last time we were ranked in the best party school list?

15. RockyHill

My freshman class at Auburn was the biggest they'd ever had and had unusually high numbers from random states across the country. All because of the exposure a Natty brings.

16. vols4sure

vols4sure Member

Reminded me of http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/0901/092.html

But the economics of hiring Saban go well beyond athletics. The decidedly pro-football University of Alabama’s president, Robert Witt, points to the school’s recent $500 million capital campaign as an example. “We have had 100,000 donors in that campaign, and a major reason they support us is football,” he says. It’s no different at any other college with a football team. Why do Ivy League schools even bother to field teams that are never going to win a bowl game? It keeps the alumni money flowing. That’s how you pay for the English department.

Witt says Saban’s presence helps the school’s academics by attracting strong applicants. In the 2007–08 year 57% of the students enrolled were in the top quarter of their high school class, up from 54% the year before. “Having a coach of his caliber makes it easier to recruit better students and raise more money,” says Witt.

All of which may overcome resentment from professors (average salary at Alabama: $116,000) of Saban’s contract. Witt can also argue that not a penny of Saban’s salary comes from either students or taxpayers. It comes from athletic department revenue, which consists of broadcasting fees, ad sponsorships, donations from “boosters” (alums who give to football, not the university’s general fund), ticket sales and shoe and apparel endorsements.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Georgia Tech. Stanford. Notre Dame. Northwestern. Duke. Cal. Michigan (!!!). Wisconsin. Southern Cal. UWash. BYU. TAMU. Ohio State. Michigan State. Clemson. LSU. Utah. Arizona. TCU. Mizzou. Oregon.

I could go on. Some of those are private, but there are a lot of state schools on that list. You can have a great football program and top level academics.

18. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Maybe big jim has learned his lesson.

19. RockyHill

Is Big Jim still involved in any meaningful way? Anyone know?

20. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

At age 84 there may not be enough intact synapses left to realize that.