Two clowns yet again, who will you vote for?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Jan 17, 2012.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Incumbent clown or clone clown?

Ill be third party yet again but havent decided who my vote will go to yet.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I am in the great minority in ETN being a Democrat. I am that way due to my dad and the labor issue. I know neither side really cares much about the blue collar guy, but the Dems will screw them the least, imo. I will also add that I have a huge independent streak. I do not vote party line. Those that do piss me off. I do not like Obama. He talks a big game, but his mouth writes checks his ass can't cash. I do not like Romney. He is as slimy and spineless as they come, imo. I am reminded of the old saying that you have got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything. I don't think Romney has had a firm conviction in his life. He will say whatever is politically expedient at the time to a larger degree than the other politicians. He's rushing to the right in the primary and will rush to the center in the general. As you can see, I don't like either guy.

I personally am disgusted that these are the best candidates our great nation can come up with. I am sick of settling for the guy that I think will screw me the least. I have not casted a willing vote for President since Clinton. I don't care what anyone thinks, I feel Clinton did a good job. I don't want to throw my vote away on a 3rd party protest vote either. It is sad that we have the choices that we do....smh

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Between clowns, always vote for the funnier one.

4. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Standing Ovation.

5. OrangeEmpire

How is it throwing your vote away by not voting republican or democrat?

6. JayVols

Maybe bad choice of words. I meant cast a vote for someone with no chance to win. I don't agree with most 3rd party candidates either. A protest vote reminds me of my football seasons the last few years- I haven't had the pleasure of my favorite team winning, so I had to try to get satisfaction by rooting against teams I hate. That leaves me empty inside. I'm demanding candidates that I am enthusiastic about casting a vote for. Not holding my nose and pulling the lever.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Agreed. If you vote for Ron Paul, assuming he's third party (or similar candidate), you're voting for Obama. If you vote for Nader, you're voting for Romney.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

It would be interesting if Paul could actually win some states as an independent and throw that sucker into the House. Then you might actually give Romney an advantage he wouldn't have in a heads-up race against Obama.

Neat trivia question: the last third party candidate to win the White House? Abraham Lincoln.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't think it's possible for Paul to win any states.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Texas. He sure wouldn't win any Democrat or swing states that would actually throw this into the House.

If Ron Paul runs as third party (which to date he has said he would not do), it would only be Perot in 92 or Nader in 2000 all over again.

I'm not saying any GOP candidates would be my first choice if I could handpick my choice, but unfortunately they are the hand that has been dealt and we've got to roll with it.

11. CardinalVol

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Texas. He sure wouldn't win any Democrat or swing states that would actually throw this into the House.

If Ron Paul runs as third party (which to date he has said he would not do), it would only be Perot in 92 or Nader in 2000 all over again.

I'm not saying any GOP candidates would be my first choice if I could handpick my choice, but unfortunately they are the hand that has been dealt and we've got to roll with it.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

If he were ever going to be a serious contender, he would have to finish at least a close second in South Carolina, and then a huge scandal befall Romney at the same time. To even have a CHANCE. Even then, folks probably go back to Gingrich.

13. CardinalVol

The only way that it isn't Romney is if everyone bit Gingrich drops out and they all support Gingrich.

I actually saw yesterday that Evangelicals for Perry have now changed their stance and are endorsing Newt because they don't want to see the conservative base split like 08. I know it's early, but too late in the game, IMO.

14. OrangeEmpire

Newt would have to run away with sc and fl then pray indys go with him in the gen election

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, that ship sailed a month ago. Would have meant something then.

16. CardinalVol

The problem with the conservative base of the Republican party is that it is filled with too many egos of who wants to be the "champion of the base" and they refuse to put egos aside to promote the best person. Until that happens, you are going to have a moderate nominee for President. At the end of the day, this back to a lack of leadership in the party as a whole, IMO.

Additionally, this blows my mind because the party will pump a ton of money into a rural Congressional race in TN to make sure a conservative gets elected, but for some reason refuses as a whole to do anything about the Presidential race.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I have to disagree with the idea that voting third party is throwing away your vote. If the party fails to see that people want better, why reward them with your vote just to vote the party line.

If Obama does win again, I want the R's to win big in congress elections.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It's not throwing your vote away. It's essentially casting a vote for the candidate that is the most different from the 3rd party candidate you're voting for. So, if you vote for a libertarian candidate, you're voting for Obama. If you vote for a Green Party Candidate, you're voting for Romney. If you wish to not reward either of the two main parties, you'd be better served by not voting at all. Because you are rewarding one of them by voting for a 3rd party who doesn't stand a chance in Hell of winning.

19. JayVols

Kinda my thoughts. Damned if you do damned if you don't. If Teddy Roosevelt couldn't pull off a third party win, pretty sure no one can.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Teddy Roosevelt got screwed by his own party. He won 80-percent of the primaries and they still wouldn't let him on the ticket. He sure as heck made sure Taft didn't win, though.