From Volnation

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Oct 15, 2016.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Originally posted by Gandalf

"It seems all I hear from the "supposed negavols" is that CBJ is happy with (or at least accepting of) mediocrity - good but not great - because he simply doesnt have the skills to get us to glory and likely never will. Thus he tries to convince the fanbase that 8-9 wins is "good enough" for where we are at and that you should continually blindly hope for the future, because hey, you never know.

You people are silly. Its not that CBJ accepts or is happy with anything less than a championship - its just that he didnt get there this year (for a lot of reasons, some his fault and others not), and he is trying to re-frame to the positive. "Always be thinking positive" is likely something he buys into. I have absolutely no inside info whatsoever but CBJ presents as someone whom is 100% bought into the whole shtick, full on Knute Rockne style. And I doubt he could sell it if he wasnt.

Vol fans need to understand, they are likely NEVER to see CBJ speak a negative word about his coaches, players or lack of success, in a game or a season - or anyone else's for that matter. Its just not his style. Steve Spurrier he is not and never will be. Get used to it.

A pretty much universally accepted fact is that Butch has done a good job of resurrecting UT from the dumpster fire we were in for almost a decade. Where it wasnt a question of winning the Bowl game or griping about not getting the one we wanted but IF we would even get one. Now we are back to where winning seasons are expected as a given and EVERYONE expects UT to compete for the East at a minimum and have a real shot of getting to the playoffs. That deserves a lot of respect because no, we dont have winning seasons, bowl games and recruit top 10 just because we are Tennessee. It takes a lot of work and talent over other people who are trying to do exactly the same thing, especially in the SEC.

That said, NOBODY is satisfied with where we are at (ending as merely a top 25 program 2nd year in a row) - and that MOST ESPECIALLY includes "Lyle" Butch Jones. The good news is that he is fairly young for coaching a top program so he has energy and time to learn. I think it can be said that he has made the adjustment from mid major to power 5 and even as a competitive coach in the SEC but it remains to be seen if he can make the leap to being an elite coach. Will he succeed? I dont know but he is making adjustments, including coaching changes, etc, so perhaps he can. Lets all hope so but dont expect to hear anything but relentless coach speak to ever leave his lips. That is how he is wired and he (righly) thinks that the only difference between being laughed at and derided for his aphorisms versus seeing everyone declare them as pearls of genius that Vol Nation will put as Holy Writ on posters on their walls... is just 2-3 more wins per season "

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Gandalf been on the pipe too long

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

He and the self appointed watcher of the wall Readervol

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Does Mike Griffith still post over there? He was writer-somethingorother and was always saying stupid stuff to support whoever was head failure at UT at the time. Wonder if he decided to change names to be anonymous and chose reader.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

g1

6. Beechervol

This guy is a self proclaimed "super fan" that's a season ticket holder, UT grad, kids go there, with a Butch poster on his ceiling.

7. Beechervol

"The white knight"

8. Beechervol

You know a thread is going well when he stops responding.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Now there is a thread saying that Saban was basically a nobody, mostly regarded as average, prior to 2008. Unreal.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

If his wife didn't hate living in Miami, he'd probably still be there.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

12. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Not having complete control was a big factor I am sure. He wanted Drew Brees and was told no.

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

When the Dolphins were for sale, having a high dollar QB made it harder for some reason.

14. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

Yet in his 10th year as HC, Saban was hoisting a NC trophy.

While in his 10th year as HC, Botch hoists the Battle of Bristol trophy.

Since [itch bay] is clearly on the same trajectory as Saban, he must only be one year behind. Injuries and such.

15. Beechervol

Yeah. They tried Dabo as well. That one didn't stick either.

16. 'BoroVol

'BoroVol Member

We really should install a shower facility here for those of us who still post at VN. I just feel dirty when I've been there.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

On Butch Jones at Tennessee when discussing where Chip Kelly should coach next....

"He's (Butch) a gym teacher. There's gym teachers and there's coaches. He's not an elite coach."

-Colin Cowherd

Our dumbass fans worship at the feet of a really bad gym teacher. Says all that needs to be said.

Edited to reflect exact quote

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd say he is a mediocre gym teacher.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

In reference to the Cowherd comments:

"Why do UT fans seem to really enjoy watching their school and ad be insulted?" - PJ

Cowherd called Tennessee a gold standard program. There's a difference between insulting UT and insulting the coach.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

PJ isn't objective. He would have drank the Jonestown juice