Bye Bye Obamacare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 6, 2017.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I would guess it would be a plain repeal. I think they're pretty embarrassed by last week.

Blind guess.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Which is way better than one whole huge ass piece of law that's over reaching with ton of unintended consequences

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we knew it would be hard to near impossible to repeal obamacare once people got used to getting shit for free.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The CBO report doomed it.

I don't think people are mad "I'm losing mine", they are mad someone else is losing theirs.

5. JayVols

And getting harder. Kansas, KANSAS, just voted to expand Medicaid. Deep dark red, Kansas.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I wonder what it would cost to for medicare for say a 35 year old with a 4 person family? i.e. how much are we subsidizing the 65+ over crowd. because it's a hell of a lot cheaper than private insurance for someone that age at this point. so is that because medicare is working or you and I are paying for most of it instead of the old people? I honestly don't know. I assume the latter?

7. JayVols

I don't know either. If more states like Kansas expand, that just seems to me that Medicare for all is closer. I'm just dumbfounded Kansas did it.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems like we should be able to offer it at cost, but you know how stupid we are at estimating cost.

9. CardinalVol

Single payor with a monthly fee for those above X amount of poverty line (no idea what that number is) with option to opt out for direct pay if you so choose. At this point, I don't think it's a good option, but it might be the best option available.

You have to involve co-pays and accountability for everyone or it will be a debacle on the provider side.

10. JayVols

I'll take your word for it. I've said many times that finance is not in my wheelhouse.

Tennessee is another state that didn't expand. I wonder if we do it too. I can't remember which state, I'm thinking Virginia but that doesn't sound right for some reason, just voted to expand too. I'm thinking these new expansion states came to the conclusion that Obamacare was here to stay after Trumpcare failed, and they might as well get their piece of the pie as well. That's my only explanation for the Kansas deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Tennessee continues to not expand because well, Tennessee. If there's been one constant in this state the last decade, it's that we have an extreme problem with a lack of quality leadership in most every state entity.

See University of Tennessee whose major voices share the same last name as our governor. That's not a coincidence, imho.

11. CardinalVol

Can't put this one on the governor. He had an expansion plan in place last January that got shot down quickly and never made it to floor of either chamber.

12. JayVols

Another thought on Kansas:

After the fiscal disaster that has been Gov. Sam Brownback's tax policies, the state is in pretty dire straights. At least it was last time I checked. Expaning Medicaid just might be a near necessity due to the above statements.

13. JayVols

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for that info. I withdraw that comment with apologies.

I'll replace it with this one:

With people like Stacey Campfield that served in the State House and State Senate from 2005 to 2014 and Ron Ramsey that served in both houses from 1993 until 2017 with the last serveral years as Lt. Gov, no stupid decision by our state legislature no matter how badly it shot our state in its own foot surprises me.

14. JayVols

I'd rather have leprosy than have Ron Ramsey back in Nashville. I've never seen a state senator that tried to turn every campaign & policy decision into a battle against a President like Ron Ramsey did. To hear him talk, Obama was running for his seat while occupying the WH as well. It was comical. Ever interview you were guaranteed that he would say something to slam Obama (even if it had nothing to do with Obama) and that he would say the words, conservative or conservative values, at least every 5th word. I mean if you made a drinking game out of his interviews with Obama, conservative or conservative values being the trigger words, the participants would die from alcohol poisoning inside of 10 minutes.

I probably despise Ron Ramsey as much as any politician ever. I'd love to smack the Bell's Palsy out of his face.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

When has Kansas showed they cared about spending. That's why the tax cuts failed. You can't just cut taxes and still keep spending

16. JayVols

Not according to Sam Brownback. Not just cutting but actually eliminating taxes in some cases was Brownback's magical cure all he purchased from that traveling salesman on the side of the road.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The federal government is a different story since they can print money but a state doesn't have that power. So businesses still don't want to invest in a state that keeps on spending and cutting taxes, because they know they'll have to raise taxes to cover the spending in the future.

BTW I don't support the federal government doing it either but that's been our business model since WW1 and we pay for it through inflation.

18. JayVols

The only thing I'm trying to say is that if morons had a king, Brownback would be the king of that king.

19. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

wrong thread.

20. JayVols

And of course Brownback vetoes it.