Helton Joining Baseball Staff

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by CardinalVol, Jan 27, 2017.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He and Dooley are easily the two most dispised I know of here taking coaching abilities aside.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I resemble that remark.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Not that I've heard. Heckuva Coach. Not sure though he could have a ton of success recruiting the southeast in a way that's comparable to the rest of the league.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I wish Monte hadn't gone to Clemson last year. Though he would likely go whenever that job came open.

Who's your shortlist?

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

No particular order....

Chris Burke
    Brad Bohannon
    Ash Lawson
    Bradley Lecroy

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Most likely, 1-4?

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Ash Lawson.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Burke would be a fantastic hire.

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Honest question, but why is everyone in love with Burke? Unless I'm missing something, he's never coached. Are we just assuming that he has the ability to effectively run a program and coach at a high level? Admittedly, I don't follow baseball as much as other sports, but on the surface hiring Burke would appear to be the most Tennessee thing ever.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Strong ties to pro game. Electric personality. Very well respected all across the nation. He also has some strong ties to the amateur side of the game as well. But most importantly he cares about UT and he knows the barriers you would face here. I advocated for him when they hired Serrano. Still rings true what I said then. Bring some strong assistants on board and he would excel here.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

All that sounds great, but should an SEC baseball program be hiring a guy with zero coaching experience? That wouldn't fly in football or basketball, so why here? Is baseball that different from the other two sports in regards to coaching?

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's a completely different animal. You're not gonna get a head coach at a big power 5 school to come to UT. Their path to Omaha would be easier elsewhere. You're gonna have to think outside the box with a hire here to get to level we want to get to. The two things that are a must are having ties to the pro game and a foot in the door with amateur baseball in some capacity. Burke has both.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Fair enough. My knowledge of anything beyond the obvious when it comes to baseball is nonexistent.

14. CardinalVol

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

He's a dead man walking.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This is still the most surprising bust I've seen at UT

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's in the last year of his contract and he's been bad on the field and a complete [penis] off of it. Anyone with any sense knows he's heading to the unemployment line

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Lucky for him, he works for Tennessee. I'm sure his inevitable contract extension and raise will show him how much we value him in Knoxville.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm sure we'll somehow screw up the termination and end up owing him at least a couple million.

20. CardinalVol

Baseball RPI is 37. I mean, it's a long shot, but NCAA isn't out of reach with a strong close to season.

Am I expecting it? No.