WR depth

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Jul 29, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Nick Saban wanted him at Alabama as a safety.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He ran past a 2nd round CB against Florida.

He ran away from the entire Mizzou defense.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Saying Jennings would be WR3 at Auburn is beyond idiotic. He was the third receiving option in a run heavy offense with an erratic passer throwing at him.

He put up better stats than any Auburn WR.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Auburn's projected WR starters caught a total of 61 catches last year. That's 4 guys.

Their top two average (who I assume RHT is referring too) played in a total of 16 games. Sure Davis didn't have more than 2 catches in a game and Slayton caught three against Ole Miss, Arkansas State and Alabama A&M, but by God Jennings would ride the bench behind them.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I've already said this, but he put a move on him. Tabor bit hard and had no chance. Using that play as evidence that he is fast is moronic.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think the point is that he is plenty capable of playing his position

7. RockyHill

I didn't say he wasn't.

8. RockyHill

I had a feeling my avi got changed too...I only use mobile so no clue if it's been like that for a long time. Y'all suck.

9. RockyHill

The stats argument is stupid. I'm not discounting Jennings production as evidence that he can competently play receiver and even be damn good one at times. It doesn't mean he's more talented or a better receiver than someone who for whatever reason was not as productive last year. It's like Groves bringing up Lucas Taylor and his 1,000 yard season. So was Lucas Taylor better than Sammie Coates or Donte Stallworth? What about Tre Mason? Is he an all time great SEC running back? The stats say he is but we all know that's laughable.

This board is too intelligent for that crap.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My point in bringing up Taylor is that you don't have to be particularly fast or quick to be a #1 receiver in the SEC.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I guess it is a matter of perspective. I get that you may like Auburn's top 2 WR better than Jennings. But acting like Jennings is slow or unable to compete with them comes across as unserious. You aren't considering the Butch factor. When we needed a catch, more often than not Jennings would fabricate one out of sunlight and bellybutton lint. And he didn't have the support of being coached.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Okay, his freshman year on every kick coverage team and he was there about the time the guy caught the ball.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He rode a Florida's DB back to one catch

He made a juggling one handed grab against South Carolina

The Dobbnail

He had a great TD catch against VT on a jump ball

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Our kicker could start for Auburn?

Just kidding. He'd be a walk-on holder.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is this in reference to my opinions on Marquez North vs. Amari Cooper?

I still remember Hat trying to bet me a large sum of money that North would be a more productive NFL receiver than Cooper. What a joke.

16. CardinalVol

You've said that he'd be WR3 at Auburn with zero evidence to back it up.

I can either a) present evidence to back my case, or b) just make fun of your assertion with no evidence that he would be WR3 at Auburn. It's your pick.

17. CardinalVol

I'm sure Trevor Daniel would be 18th string punter at Auburn too.

18. RockyHill

Obviously we disagree on Jennings speed on the football field. No need to go any further on that. With that being said, imo, I think if Jennings was a little faster he could be incredible, like 1500 or 1600 yards guy*, but I think his relative lack of speed will limit his ceiling.

*Assuming that the offense was run in a way where that would even be possible. Like if we pretend our coaching staff was more competent.

19. RockyHill

No, Auburn's punter is pure trash. You could be Auburn's punter, Card.

20. RockyHill

Goodness. Of course I don't have evidence. I'd need Jennings to transfer to Auburn to have evidence. You also do not have evidence. Stats are not evidence that he is better or more talented. We've gone over this. This is my opinion, just like other people are sharing theirs. We just started fall camp, we have nothing better to do than hash out all the hypotheticals.

Here's my bet: I bet Auburn's most productive receiver will be more productive than Tennessee's. I'm open to suggestions on what should be wagered. But if Auburn's receiver is more productive y'all are gonna have to decide in advance if the stats are the only consideration or if y'all will be allowed to make the argument that Tennessee's was better despite having worse stats.