Percent chance we get Gruden?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Oct 12, 2017.

1. volkayaker

volkayaker New Member

I think it depends on who you are and what you’re doing. A theoretician would say that 99.999... and 100 are not the same. An empiricist would say “close enough” and then move on.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I like the news but not some of the back up choices. They seem to be really high on Mullen.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We can discuss this in the math thread in the Thunderdome, but the theoretical mathematician would actually say that 99.999... (meaning 99 followed by a decimal place followed by an infinite number of 9s) and 100 is exactly equal.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

And their proof would require use of a limit, which requires taking the assumption that they are equal.

Which is circular.

Luckily we all know them to be wrong.

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It's not really that.

Real number theory leads you to the conclusion they are the same. The solution of the convergent geometric series leads you to that as well. I'm not sure that means as much because there are a handful of proofs and I think that fl0at would discount each.

But, convention is identically equal. By identity because we define 1/3 as .3 repeating not approximately equal. By identity. It's a definition.

7. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Serious question, if it is Gruden when does he come? Our season will be over November 25th. MNF goes till the end of December. I don't see any way we could wait till the end of December to make an announcement. Thoughts?

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think it kind of depends one whether or not Gruden considers 0.9 repeating to be equal to 1.0.

Oldvol75 likes this.
  9. TennTradition

Correct

10. fl0at_

We’re going to hire Butch Jones in December. Time is circular and infinite, and we’re somehow in the same loop we were in infinite years ago.

11. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

I understand what you're saying, it just seems like thats throwing away a recruiting class unnecessarily.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  12. TennTradition

By defining 1/3 as .3 repeating as identity then we implicitly assert that a number smaller than all other numbers is identicaly equal to zero (Ardhmedian number theory I believe). If 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1, then .3 bar + .3 bar + .3 bar = 1 - despite the fact that each has this repeating 3 that goes on infinitely. It would seem that that sum never reached one. But we know it does by identity. The same identity that gives us 1/3 = .3 bar. And that is that the most infinitesimally small quantity is not just close to zero but identicaly equal to zero.

Look I completely get all the concepts that would lead one to question such a statement of definition. I get the fractal nature of numbers and that we can keep this division of parts game going on all day long. Somehow being infinitely close and far away at the same time.

However, the number system upon which we base our arithmetic is what it is. And these are the conventions of identity that it has adopted.

At least that is the way I understood number theory as taught to me.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Guys we have a math thread now

14. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

Why didn’t you just say that to start with?

15. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

I was told there would be no math.

16. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

At the end of the day English vocabulary will be all that matters: yes or no.

17. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

1 or 0

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I think it depends more on if Gruden has more than a 1 3/4 inch peepee.

19. fl0at_

Already been used.

20. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I thought there would be no "Higher Math"!

JayVols likes this.