POLITICS Thanks, Mike.

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jul 24, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But if it was $10000 five years ago, and is now bought from Mexico for $10000, it IS cheaper. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow.

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

How many years have the Democrats been saying they represent the working man, but the working man's jobs keep going to other countries?

RevBubbaFlavel likes this.
  3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'll give you an example. We bought a 15,000 volt breaker from a company, it was made in USA, it was 13,000 coconuts. The next year, we bought the same breaker, from the same company, but now made in Mexico, for 15K. How does that happen? Plus, you're taking a couple hundred jobs from middle class Americans, how is that good for the country?

4. NorrisAlan

It isn't good for America. But that is what NAFTA and free trade do for you. Same thing happened to the textile jobs in Knoxville 20 years ago, and Levi's left a lot of people out of work here. And the price could be affected by a lot of things, like price of copper, steel, oil, etc. I am NO economics guy, know shit about it and think a lot of it is voodoo.

But I know it is far more complicated than "Dems don't seem to be protecting Americans". The corporations are hell bent on bottom line only and will do anything to save a nickel. Laws don't help them stay. Both sides of the aisle don't have a clue what to do.

A lot of white collar jobs are going to India, now. That will really hurt the American middle class as well.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Telling companies he's going to tariff the shit out of their products keeps jobs here. Carrier and Ford are examples of it.

zehr27 likes this.
  6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm just a simple man, but this seems like a way to help the working middle class.

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

If it isn't good for America, why do it?

8. NorrisAlan

Because the companies make more money in the next quarter. Again, i am no economist and hate the whole entire subject, but it is hard to decipher what every move will do.

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I lived in Massachusetts when Patrick was governor. At the time at least he wasn’t a grandstander. Seemed like a rational guy that people liked. Not overly liberal by MA standards but not sure how the National lights would shine on him.

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Because the companies care about shareholder investment, not America?

Poppa T, Tenacious D and IP like this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I strongly disagree.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Did they move? No.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

14. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yep. After 30+ years, I retired at an executive level from a well respected global company. Companies, even the ones we think care about the American worker, view employees as nothing more than a commodity, an expense to the bottomline. You either grow your revenue (organically or thru acquisitions) or you reduce expenses. Those are your 2 levers.

This effort of offshoring labor began in full force in the early 90's and culminated in late 90's with pension grabs and retiree benefit reductions (at least in the global company that I worked for).

Trump is not any different than a global company. His actions and policies will all revolve around what increases the value of Trump Org.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

It does not appear so, especially with carrier.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

So they did close the Indianapolis plant completely?

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I feel like there is no way to keep rich people from making more money, and like Mr. Norrisalan says, I'm not expert on the economy, but if I'm paying top dollar for a whatever, I'm more ok with making an executive more rich if he's paying an American worker to make my stuff.

19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Major corporations plan these transitions months/years in advance. How long do you think it took them to build their Mexican facility? It was not overnite. I worked for a major, global corporation. I know how the game is played and the plans are made.

Trump did not save any jobs. Only the appearance that he did. Trump's "negotiation" with execs included being briefed on their transition plan, what # of workers would be retained for some period of time, what number he could claim he "saved". In return, Carrier execs got positive, short term PR for allowing Trump to use them.

20. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer