POLITICS Theresa May out as PM.

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Savage Orange, May 24, 2019.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Does it move the needle for any of you here? The whole Brexit fiasco has been interesting to watch and I’m curious as to what happens next. I suppose a lot will hinge on who becomes Britain’s next PM.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Brexit has been an unmitigated disaster. May was so damaged that a reset was needed. I would be very interested to see where are- it’s would land today.

tvolsfan likes this.
  3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

They need to just hold another vote for the public and then cancel the whole damn thing.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I do wonder if just holding another vote when you didn't get the "popular" result is a bad precedent, even though it seems very necessary in this case. Folks need to take voting more seriously.

tvolsfan likes this.
  5. cpninja

cpninja Member

the Brexit saga would be downright comical if they weren't toying with the future of millions of peoples lives

6. NorrisAlan

it is, but at this point, it would be no different than repealing Prohibition. It's been three years, and by now, people see the disaster it is going to be.

I say another vote isn't like having one the next week because you didn't get what you wanted. In this case, it would truly be the peoples' will.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Agree.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Brexit itself hasn’t been a disaster at all. May’s trying to pass a milquetoast Brexit has been.

9. Tenacious D

Yes, yes, yes - let’s just vote until we get the result we want.

They have voted - to leave. So, now leave.

It’s a simple one-step process.

10. Tenacious D

“Very necessary”?

What on earth makes it “very necessary”?

What if the opposite is decided next go-round? Does that one stand? Or is a third then “necessary”?

Best of 7? 9? 43?

This is the sour-grape remainders who lost, trying to usurp the will of the majority who wished to leave, and who now want a do-over to turn a single vote into a best of three series - plainly, purely and simply nothing more.

11. Tenacious D

Silliness.

How on earth can anyone argue that a simple majority vote was somehow anything less than the “true” will of the people, last time?

You just hope for a do-over, as does anyone else who suggests it.

12. Tenacious D

13. NorrisAlan

So no law or amendment should ever be repealed? Is that what you are saying?

If the brexited and then two months later had a referendum to rejoin, would that be ok?

14. Tenacious D

Was there a general election on this issue?

15. NorrisAlan

Yes. Is there a time that overturning a general election outcome would be OK?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hey Tenny, let them leave. Let's see how it goes. If it goes very poorly, would you reconsider your views on things generally? I doubt it.

17. NorrisAlan

Oh, and I have no skin in this fight as I am not English. I just think it is a very bad idea and did three years ago.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It’s milquetoast because the hard stop including trade barriers and Northern Ireland checkpoints is nuts.

19. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I think the repurcussions (-2 sp??) of this will be felt worldwide, not just in Europe or England.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I remember people being concerned this could lead to the collapse of the EU. At this point, it’s more likely to lead to the collapse of the UK.