2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

as opposed to Wright state and Colgate? and el oh eling to a baseless fabrication that I was putting Martin ahead of barnes by merely pointing out Martin objectively outperformed him over the first years? yes, you are a rutting dipshit.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Objective? Christ. You intentionally called attention to one small corner of the entire picture. You posted their records and tournament wins “for perspective” as a way to suggest they’re anywhere near the same level of coach.

Nevermind that the situation Barnes inherited was far worse than that of Cuonzo.

Nevermind the regular season success Barnes has enjoyed despite having to build his team from the ground up with lesser talent.

Nevermind shared regular season championship, coach of the year honors, multiple SEC player of the year honors, the full month at #1, solid record against UK and other rivals, multiple tournament teams, etc.

Nevermind the eye test of watching guys like Grant, Admiral, and Bone develop over the years telling you Barnes can flat out coach guys up, while the eye test for Cuonzo suggested he didn’t know wtf he was doing.

None of that matters. Just overall records and tournament records.

3. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

El oh elling at "Guys. I didn't say he was a better coach. I'm just saying he coached better."

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. objectively, who had more wins in 3 years? objectively.

2. you are listing a bunch of things for barnes from year 4.

3. it isn't to say Martin is better, it is to bring the " who yuh gonna git" bs back in line with reality. folks acted like Martin was a dumpster fire. if so, the barnes must also be some sort of trash receptacle. and tyndall was here all of one season, so it isn't like he had a chance to leave a deep mark of any kind. he should have never been hired in the first place, on a level entirely different from coaching ability.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

are you arguing that Barnes won more games in 3 years in the regular season, or in the tournament? because he didn't. the case is being made that barnes far exceeds anything we've had lately. he hasn't, comparing 3 years to 3 years.

I get that it is critical to project into the facts something to attack, like " el oh el he's saying Martin is a better coach" since you cant really get around hard facts of wins. I'm saying there doesn't seem to be much daylight between the two's quantifiable and not poll-based accomplishments here, yet one is called garbage and was run out of town while the other now has a top 3 salary.

One got to a sweet 16 in year 3. The other in year 4. it is what it is. Barnes is not performing much differently than Martin did. someone going to argue Martin got an easier draw in year 3 by avoiding any magic nuns?

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Need Plavsic to get cleared. He is big, skilled and day 1 starter, 2 years ago if here.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

what are the odds of that happening? when will we likely know?

8. Ssmiff

Since its UT, he will probably have to sit. Personally I think he should say someone was saying antiSerb things on campis and they would rubber stamp it

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That’s not at all what Arizona State beat writer for The Athletic said about that kid on Basilio, earlier this week.

After giving a few caveats that he’d only personally seen limited practices, that he’s going on what others in the program told him, etc. - he says that the kid is an entirely average player, and (stop me if you’ve heard this one before, or nine times) more of a project than anything. He seemed to scoff at the idea that anyone thinks he will be ready to provide any immediately meaningful contribution, even if cleared to play this season, or if ever.

I’m going off memory, but that’s what I recall as the gist of his thoughts.

10. Ssmiff

Thats quite possible. A friend watching him play the last few days told me he was smoothe and skilled.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee people are saying he's better than Kyle Alexander right now.

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Not a very high bar, based on how Alexander finished out his career.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m not going to get off on another rant, but will just say this - I don’t see any possible combination of current players who will be able replace even 1/2 of the production we’re losing.

14. Ssmiff

Im not sure either tenny but noone saw admiral, grant and bone turn into nba prospects or more than average players when they committed either.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

can I put Martin down for developing multiple NBA players that flamed out together in the sweet 16?

I know that we moved off that, I just find the parallels massive.

16. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

if we're talking about development, you have to acknowledge the difference between turning three 3-stars into NBA players and turning a 3-star, a 4-star, and a 5-star into NBA players.

17. Tar Volon

I don't think there's any way it happens this year, but I'm not necessarily upset about it. It's rare for a team not to take a step back when they lose their three best players. Just develop the guys we have, keep recruiting for next year, and set us up to bounce back the next year.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

you're saying Martin recruited better than barnes? someone is gonna el oh el.

19. Tar Volon

I'm pretty sure you're like 75% trolling at this point, but a couple of those guys were inherited.

20. Ssmiff

You can do,whatever you want, but Stokes and Mcrae were pegged as NBA players in HS, not 3*s with Tn their best offer.