2019-2020 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 29, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

we weren't paying him top 5 money or pretending as though he was irreplaceable

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think all of the information is relevant. I count 3 SEC teams in the tournament that year, compared to the what, 7-9 that have been making it the last couple years? IMO, Barnes's regular season success against a significantly better SEC is much more impressive than a single 3 game win streak in the tournament that didn't include a team better than a 6 seed.

I do think Barnes has a history of performing below expectations in the tournament. I don't think he will win a title here, regardless of whether he keeps recruiting projects or starts pulling in consecutive top 10 classes.

Enjoy above average play for the next 5 years with Barnes, stabilize the program as a constant tournament team, and make sure the cupboard is full for whoever takes over when he retires. If those things happen, we should be able to attract the type of coach that can push us from a yearly tournament team with the occasional run beyond the round of 32 to a team competing for Final Fours and championships.

No one thinks Barnes is irreplaceable. A lot of people thought the timing of him potentially leaving this year was awful and would leave us in a horrible position.

3. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

They're post draft defections, but agree that they're mostly useless.

You're also ranking Cuonzo Martin ahead of Rick Barnes because he beat UMASS and Mercer in March.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Comical

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

el-oh-el

6. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Had some fun looking at historical Kenpom ratings. Pearl's turnaround in 2006 was ridiculous. And that 2014 team was so talented.

2006 - 17 Pearl
    2007 - 31 Pearl
    2008 - 13 Pearl
    2009 - 32 Pearl
    2010 - 30 Pearl
    2011 - 62 Pearl
    2012 - 63 Martin
    2013 - 62 Martin
    2014 - 10 Martin
    2015 - 90 Tyndall
    2016 - 103 Barnes
    2017 - 57 Barnes
    2018 - 13 Barnes
    2019 - 10 Barnes

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m glad Barnes stayed, and I agree with the decision to pay him what it took to do so.

But he is now the 3rd highest paid coach in the country, however it happened or why, and I expect him to provide a commensurate level of success, at a minimum.

I’ll see that as being an unreasonable expectation just as soon as he refunds or forgoes any part of the money we’re paying him, if he fails to meet it.

Ssmiff likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't rank him ahead. I was commenting on jqk making him out to be a dumpster fire when he outperformed Barnes over the same span.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

the mating calls of dipshits

10. Ssmiff

Stats and numbers can be deceiving. By numbers and stats, you are smarter than I, on paper.
    Your discussion and antics here prove differently. Now insult me again and show that true genius of a brain.

11. Tenacious D

War Eagle would like a word with you, sir.

IP likes this.
  12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

By 2021 the football team will be playing for SEC and national championships anyway. Who would care about basketball anymore

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

That was funny

14. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

[​IMG]

Tenacious D likes this.
  15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Plenty.

kmf600 likes this.
  16. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Are you trying to assist with one of your kid's homework assignments regarding the Dunning-Kruger effect or something?

Tenacious D likes this.
  17. Tenacious D

Oof.

18. Ssmiff

I could never hang with you learned folk or pretend too. Cognitively, its just too much to handle.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wow, you nailed me. You're just a lunch pail brainiac. High motor.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You’re placing value on wins against Mercer and UMass, but I’m the dipshit? Okay then.