Facebook IPO

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, May 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Alas they cant figure out a way to do it,,,,and up to half their hits are via the app.

I dont know, part of me thinks its heyday has come and gone. Quite frankly, its gotten entirely too complicated.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I was never really into it. But from all my friends that really dug it at one point, apparently it got crappy when they starting letting in non-college folk. I kind of wonder if there is an opportunity to make a little money with a new social network just for college kids so you don't have to worry about your damn grandparents seeing the photos of you kegstanding and puking at the same time.

3. CardinalVol

Quite possible.

Ive always kept mine calm, and it is good to get pics back home of the kiddo, but its much more of a headache. Too many people on there now i dont want to keep up with and i feel bad if i turn down requests.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Exactly. I just gave my girlfriend the password and let her run it for me.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It definitely got too big for comfort. I started college the year facebook finally made it past the big schools and on to the little ones (2005) and had a lot of fun with it for 2-3 years. The advent of the status update and the pieces of flair were particularly fun. Nowadays I'm still on there, but I'm past the age where I care to broadcast all my personal frustrations to the Internet, I can't post about politics because anything I say will offend half my friends, I can't complain about work/school (grad student) because so many of my department's professors have friended me. So it's pretty much become the same thing twitter is--another place to talk sports with whatever friends I have who cheer for the same teams. And maybe occasionally commenting on a good book or beer.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I appreciate your concern for the feelings of others.. However, I don't feel the slightest twinge of guilt when I decline a request from someone that I didn't talk to when I saw them daily. What makes them think I want to talk to them 22 years later. If they get upset, that's on them for having bad judgement.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This is how I feel. I'm not afraid to click Facebook's FU button

8. CardinalVol

Oh, I friend them, and then I "unsubscribe" from their updates immediately. Well, sometimes I give a couple of weeks buffer to see if they are entertaining. If all they do is post those stupid slogan pictures though, they get unsubscribed quickly.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

As soon as my parents got on facebook, I was over it. I still have an account, but I don't do much with it. I had to defriend my mom after she started [itch bay]ing at me about profile pic, which was me fully decked out as Amy Winehouse for halloween. It was a great costume. My best halloween costume ever.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's good entertainment to see what stupid things other people post. teenagers spend a ridiculous amount of time on it. they only need to monetize a very small % of the users to make a lot of money.

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I don't ever see adds on Facebook. Thanks adblock.

12. CardinalVol

I truthfully thought that SURELY a bank couldn't botch a valuation of the most-hyped IPO in the history of the stock market THAT bad.......

Looks like I may be wrong.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they assumed unlimited demand. whoops.

14. CardinalVol

I mean, did they seriously think that a bunch of 20 year olds were going to line up to invest 1,000 just to say they owned part of it?

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no, but there was a pretty strong retail interest. unfortunetely the institutions that buy 90% of most IPOs weren't interested at $38.

16. CardinalVol

Oh well............

I'll wait until it's a penny, and then buy controlling interest.

17. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

I was reading yesterday that Amazon's IPO languished for months before storming back...

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

amazon actually got down to 10X PE ratio before going nuts recently. Facebook is at 60X forward, 100X trailing earnings. If they have a blowout quarter and show they can grow this sucker, they'll be fine.

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Just saw the price. I couldn't help but laugh.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the lawsuits will be a coming