Facebook IPO

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, May 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Starts trading in about a half hour or so.

$38 a share.

There's gonna be some rich dudes over this.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Only up $2. Once i started hearing everyone got all the shares they asked for i knew there was a problem.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

already at the syndicate bid. jesus. what a disaster.

4. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I don't understand stocks much as I have never really looked into them. What does this mean other than they are public now?

5. CardinalVol

And the underwriters came in to save face........is that essentially right droski? I've never really studied how IPOs work on the financial side (as opposed to the accounting side).

I still don't understand how it's profitable long-term.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah they supported the stock for a while. looks like they aren't doing it anymore. it's liquidity that going public provides.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hey, this is what they wanted.

8. CardinalVol

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if i'm selling my facebook into the offering i'm very happy. otherwise not so much.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

back to the syndicate bid.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I have no idea what you guys are saying. So facebook stock flopped?

12. CardinalVol

Pretty much. Basically if it wasnt propped up by some banks, it wouldnt be at 38 a share right now.

Still good if you were selling, but embarassing considering the hype behind it.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Hyped, yes. But, who expected the stock to do much at $38? I personally wasn't planning on getting anywhere near it.

14. CardinalVol

I would hope financial institutions would hope it would stay above that when they agreed to underwrite it.

15. TennTradition

Financial institutions making sound decisions? Yep...I've heard about that...

It may be fine in the long run, but most of its value seems to lie in potential and the ability to actually make use of the information they have on their users...without those users bolting.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Facebook could probably do pretty well for themselves by starting a search engine. They have so much personal data on people, that it should really help that whole "directed search results" thing.

17. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

It only made .06%. If you had a lot of stock, you made a lot of money. If you didn't, you didn't make as much as was projected.

18. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I don't think Facebook is a very good investment. Its growth has already slowed down.

19. TennTradition

At this point, it isn't about getting more users. It is about figuring out how to optimize making money off of those users vs. retaining them.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Which seems tough. Can't charge for it. Can't add too many advertisements. Only a handful of people are going to pay for those stupid imaginary gifts. I don't think the mobile app has ads. I'd probably start selling space there.