Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Nov 8, 2018.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This is not a discussion in favor of status quo. I've stated numerous times, and once here, a path forward, or at least one I support.

Don't get this twisted.

Yes, rage is a mental illness. And one that has been selected for over time by generations of raping, pillaging and conquesting humans.

But simply because it is now prevalent does not make it basal.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Or wait till you have teenagers

kmf600 likes this.
  3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Or wait until you're a Tennessee fan

kmf600 likes this.
  4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

This is how we know JQK isn’t a true fan.

5. fl0at_

You what they say... fool me once, shame on me, fool me every time... Tennessee

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You win.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The people making calm threats are usually the ones that mean 100% of what they say

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

those people may also be mentally ill, too

9. fl0at_

I'm not going to put down viscousness, brutality and outright disrespect for life as "just part of humanity," and that we need to control it by strict regulation.

Until we outgrow it, sure. But saying it's just human nature doesn't work for me anymore.

A more prevalent trait? Sure.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know what I think on this stuff.

11. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

TRIGGER WARNING: Blatant callousness

So I've seen quite a few people posting statistics of mass shootings (until 2013 it was where 4 people were killed not including the gunman and after 2013 it was reduced to 3).

Here is where the callousness steps in.

114 events since 1982 where more than 4 people and, since 2013, more than 3 people were shot.

114 events in 37 years where 982 people were killed and 1406 were wounded. 18 of those events were just under the mark and, had the 2013 revision by Obama not been legislated, it wouldn't even be 100 events in 37 years.

Doesn't that seem remarkably scant? People are talking about rolling back a Constitutional Right for 300,000,000 people over 982 deaths?

So deconstructing the Mother Jones stats a little more.... we had 31 events from 1982-2000.

8 in the 80s
    23 in the 90s

So subtracting the 3 death mark after 2013 to level the stats... we have 31 pre-2000 and 65 since 2000. The rate has almost doubled in the same span... so what has happened to cause the severe uptick?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

how do the trends in deaths or incidents track with bump stocks and the expired assault rifle ban?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

or changes in mental health funding? that was gutted in the 80s, right?

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Red flag legislation looks like it's going to happen.

High capacity magazines are probably next.

Still not sure how I feel about banning the "assault" weapons.

15. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I think the assault weapon misnomer is just a purposeful slant to eventually make all semi-automatics illegal. I believe the intent is to result in only bolt-actions and revolvers being legal.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I support the red flag, I’m leaning toward opposing the banning of magazines and i’d oppose the banning of almost any assault rifle.

17. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

As well as the Telecoms Act of 1996 occurring.

It's hard to really suss out if it's correlation or causation to explain this. There is a key link between how the media covers the shootings, IMO, and according to Mother Jones, 58/114 shootings had definitive red flags connected to mental illness shown before the shooting.

IMO if you have a "hit list" and you openly discuss your love of violence you probably shouldn't own a firearm until you straighten your shit out.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I need all 3 of my shots to hit one teal

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I agree, but how do you go about policing that? I just don't know. List every person in the local newspaper who wants to buy a gun for comment?

IP likes this.
  20. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

In several of these cases immediate family members saw massive red flags and did nothing. I'm not saying they should be responsible, but a framework should exist to at least limit the overall scope of people who are already insane from being able to buy a firearm and carry out a massacre.

The aforementioned multiple red flags that were seen but weren't acted on are no an insignificant figure. It won't end all shootings, but it can certainly limit them.