Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Nov 8, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree, but does that mean they have a mental illness? is every violent criminal mentally ill?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think there is a big difference in being mentally ill and being a shithead.

IMO, most people who do this stuff are total shitheads.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

definitely a ven diagram

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Premeditated, yes. Domestic fits of rage go deeper imo.

5. CardinalVol

We try to apply some type of science to everything. Not saying that's bad and in many cases it is the correct thing to do. IMO, people who do this are just shitheads.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

science is just a system of knowing through observation, study, and experimentation. to not attempt to apply any science to it is to not want to understand it or know objective facts about it.

7. CardinalVol

Let me rephrase -

It happens and we try to fix them into a nice little box scientifically. Just seems way more complicated than that. And its society at large, not necessarily scientists.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I disagree, humans are reductive and tend to need boxes to conceptualize. the boxes don't really exist in science, except as a tool for organizing the information. this is especially so in the social sciences.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

These are bad. The top one is worse.

It basically came to this conclusion:

"I threatened you with a gun, and while doing so showed no signs of defined mental illness, so the problem is the weapon. (But don't ask me to speak on what type of person threatens in the first place, as that will harm my study.)"

10. fl0at_

I guess now we start to hear about red flag laws and all that.

I'm honestly at the point that I just don't care anymore.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it was more about the lack of correlation with mental illness. that a firearm is integral to threatening with a firearm, I think we can all accept.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

That's where they want you to be

DC Vol likes this.
  13. fl0at_

No, it was correlation with certain subsets of mental illnesses. Rage may also be a mental illness--and people who threaten are typically raging. Most people don't make calm threats.

14. fl0at_

There is no fight left in me, anywhere. So yea, they win.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Rage is a mental illness? So everyone is mentally ill, and thus it doesn't correlate with mass shootings that way either?

I don't want you or any other law-abiding person to lose anything you've been enjoying, just to be sure this isn't getting twisted. I don't do anything with them, but I too own a couple of firearms and maybe one day when I have a different situation would like to own more, use them more, etc.

I don't think the status quo is the best we can do, all things considered. It certainly isn't an "all or nothing" sort of problem.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’m not sure I’ve ever experienced “rage”

17. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I read this as, “definitely a vegan”

I didn’t see the correlation.

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Just wait another ~16 days.

NorrisAlan and kmf600 like this.
  19. kmf600