POLITICS Hong Kong Hullabaloo

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by DC Vol, Aug 13, 2019.

1. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I'm kinda surprised there isn't a topic on this already. Discussion for the ongoing protests in Hong Kong, the causes, their desired outcome and the likely outcome.... commence.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

been travelling or satellite radio or not watching any news at all so don't even know whats going on there

3. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Alright, I'll give a quick run-down:

* Hong Kong used to be a protectorate of the UK government up until 1997. From that point forward, it was supposed to be a SAR (Special Administrative Region) that had some level of autonomy for 50 years to allow a transition back to being fully Chinese. Due to HK's almost 100-year run as a UK territory, they were quite western and a vast majority speak English.

* HK Government on March 31st signed an Extradition Law that stated that HK citizens, for any reason, could be extradited to foreign countries. This had previously protected HK citizens who are political dissodents from being sent to China to be harvested for their organs stand trial.

* HK protestors have been active since April but it really ramped up in July.

* The Chinese government was seen moving a huge number of empty troop transports to Shenzen (major city just across water in mainland China) and outright stated the protesters are headed for "self-destruction"

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Will not end well for the protesters, criminals, floats tiny penis people , or whatever you want to call them...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I think the word is criminals, right?

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I do not know. I am not that well versed in Chinese/Hong Kong Laws. Care to elaborate?

7. fl0at_

There is rioting. Do you need to know which law rioting violates, or is the fact that there is rioting sufficient?

8. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I think, it's always hard to tell with float, but he's referring to how they've been labeled terrorists by the CCP.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I will not protest if you want to call them criminals.

10. fl0at_

I'm protesting you not calling them criminals.

I'm okay calling them protesters, and calling illegal immigrants, illegal immigrants.

Just seems like one of us is inconsistent. But carry on.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

not all of them. Mi Hol Sine was arrested for nothing. As was Wi No Thro

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What do you call someone who enters the country illegally, commits fraud, forges documents, and steals identities.... wait I know; the less fortunate (but fortunate enough to be living within walking distance)..

I call them criminals.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

There’s a joke about UT football in there somewhere.

14. fl0at_

What do you call someone who riots, destroys property, attacks law enforcment, and attempts to shut down aspects of commerce, due to disagreement over a new law?

I call them protestors.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Great. I do not care what you choose to call them.

16. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

float being... float. Arguing nuance and semantics instead of the actual topic.

VolDad likes this.
  17. fl0at_

I'm actually arguing two topics.

Either we should take a "government can take its own stance, to the determent of any human being on its soil" or we can take a different stance.

But we shouldn't take both stances, unless we're idiots.

Unimane likes this.
  18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm more interested in what the international community will do if the military shows up. I've not followed completely, but seems there's not THAT much attention being given by world leaders yet.

19. fl0at_

No, I believe that. What do you call them? Because I do care.

20. fl0at_

There is another argument in here about whether other countries should interfere in the possible or actual atrocities of another country.

And if we interfere in Hong Kong (because like VD said, they're lucky enough to live in a former semi-Western location), why aren't those countries interfering in the unlucky places.

But that may be too semantic.