Remaining Schedule

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 23, 2019.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We are not a good football team. If you wanted, you could say we are a bad football team. I would not fight this.

That said, and I fully realize how absurd this statement is - we still may get to six wins. Not because we are good. Because State, SC, UAB, Mizzou, UK, and Vandy are also not good. At this point, UAB may be the best of the lot.

Do I expect this to happen? No.

Do I think a QB change would make it more possible? Yes.

Am I looking through orange colored glasses? I don't think so.

Am I insane? Probably.

That said, if I am Pruitt, I'm announcing at my presser today that Maurer is the starting QB moving forward and will be getting first team reps moving forward. Yes, I know he's going to be eaten alive by Georgia, but it'll be worth it in both the season and long-term plays.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A qb change can do wonders, we've seen it before

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Plus, the east is a pile of shit outside of UGA

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Screw letting him play in the easy games, let's get him broken in half by consecutive top 5 teams!

lylsmorr and warhammer like this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes, the Dooley route may be the way to go. "Matt, you're going to be the tackling dummy until we're through October"

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He should have gotten a lot more PT through 4 games. I don't think he's ready for the next two, and I don't think we have much chance if he gets hurt. Even a mild injury that limits his mobility but doesn't sideline him may be enough to sink us.

lylsmorr, warhammer, chavisut and 3 others like this.
  7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think you have to at this point anyway. If nothing else, I can't fathom this recruiting class is hanging on by anything more than some twine and Duck (not even duct, the off brand) Tape.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Missouri isn’t great but better than us. SC we might catch but it would take big changes.

I haven’t seen Vandy and UK but my gut says we are worse as it stands today - mainly because it’s hard to imagine them sucking more.

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

We've got redneck Butch Jones running the show and this is what we get, play JG or get Mauer killed in his first start vs. a top 3 team.

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Well, the first shit beat us by 31 with a career backup starting.

11. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

UK is UK, we always have the upper hand. On the flip side, Muschamp doesn’t lose to Tennessee.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I think they steal one out of Vandy, KY, Missouri, SC, and UAB. That's it. Two is as far as I'll believe possible until I see some drastic improvement.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I can’t imagine the body of evidence we have right now giving us an indication that they get to six. It would be the most miraculous turnaround I’ve seen at UT. Losing to one of the 20 worst teams in FBS, putting a pure shit offense out for three weeks, to making a bowl. That would change my perception but would also make me ask what the hell he was doing the first two weeks.

16 games of evidence says it isn’t likely.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Like when Tennessee's offense was a dumpster fire until Dobbs was the starter? Or how pathetic 2010 was until Bray stepped in?

This is a terrible start, but Tennessee's had nothing but terrible starts since 2008 with 2016 being the one exception

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

There's a losing record, and then there's a losing record with the 90th-ish rated strength of schedule - losing to a team that was 2-10 last year and just got reamed by a MAC team.

They are not equal.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dooley won in overtime against UAB.

Butch needed a last minute interception to beat South Alabama.

A loss to a shit tier team has barely been avoided a few times under other coaches.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Has been avoided, and you're setting the bar with some of the dumbest coaches to walk through the gates onto Shields-Watkins.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dumbest would be Sal Sunseri, Matt Luke or Kurt Roper.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

Unimane and warhammer like this.
  20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

UGA is a bad L.

State is the lynch pin in the whole thing changing or continuing to crash IMO.

Bama is a bad L.

SC is next behind State in importance. You win it you re 2-2 in your last 4. Lose it, and UAB may be your only win going forward.

UAB should be a win unless you are 0fer the previous 4 games.

UK is winnable even on the road.

Mizzou is the toughest game outside the 2 you re not winning.

Vandy has not been very competitive in 3 Ls and may have quit themselves by then.