COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's about it from what I've read. You know more about it than me, by a lot. When has foresight ever been a strength of people?

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I read a lot and I have a hard time trusting stats without context.

Stats without context would have you believe Tony Romo is a first ballot hall of famer.

hohenfelsvol, NorrisAlan and VolDad like this.
  3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I do not know much about it at all.

A drug I’ve never used (haven’t even thought about it in over years) and a disease I’ve never seen.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

And if COVID has a gun to my loved one's head, I am sure I would similarly be willing to bargain and beg for any way out. But removed from that situation, with a clear head... it wouldn't be rational at this moment in time.

Tenacious D likes this.
  5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

But if I had to take my pick of the side effects of hydroxychloroquine or the antivirals being mentioned, I’d probably roll with the malaria drug.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Mysterious Heart Damage, Not Just Lung Troubles, Befalling COVID-19 Patients

While the focus of the COVID-19 pandemic has been on respiratory problems and securing enough ventilators, doctors on the front lines are grappling with a new medical mystery.

In addition to lung damage, many COVID-19 patients are also developing heart problems — and dying of cardiac arrest.

https://khn.org/news/mysterious-heart-damage-not-just-lung-troubles-befalling-covid-19-patients/

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Not a DR but if your lungs are not function properly wouldn't that put a strain on your heart. Especially in older people.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think mostly due to the heart having to work harder due to lower oxygen exchange in the lungs

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not really unexpected. That happens when you screw up the lungs.

Interesting about the heart muscle potentially being infected, though.

SetVol13 likes this.
  11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Would dosage and duration line up the same with these 2 different applications?

Or if you took it for malaria or lupus do you come off of it or is it a daily drug you have to continue to take?

It seems like for Covid it would be a short term which could cut down on the side effects.

A-Smith likes this.
  13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Been watching a little CNN and MSNBC this morning. Apparently hydroxycloroquine is the worst possible substance you could ever put in your body. It will likely make you sicker.

VolDad likes this.
  14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It is already generic as I understand it. Mylan is a manufacturer and I think genetics are a. If focus for them. The manufacturers are ramping up production now.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

As long as it doesn't cause anal leakage, I'm good with it

16. TennTradition

People just need to cool it with this. Our opinions, hopes, concerns, etc. literally don’t matter. The cross-talk and noise around this isn’t helping at all now nor will bringing attention to it help in the future. We can’t let this issue continue to devolve politically.

I don’t understand why Trump is fixated on this one treatment (maybe TD is right and he’s seen data that moves his opinion but given Fauci just last night was getting into it with Navarro I don’t think that data exists yet), but he is. And the media - both those hailing it and decrying it - need to let it go. My biggest complaint with Trump on this is him saying he might take it and is going to talk to his doctors about getting it as a preventative (since he tested negative). When we are trying to ramp up production we definitely don’t need him planting the seed that trying to talk your doctor into getting it before you even need it isn’t a good idea. If he wants to cheerlead around it and thinks that’s what people need - that can be his role. Fauci can manage expectations. Etc. But I just want Trump to be more careful about some of these things so he doesn’t make the problem worse.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    SetVol13 and Tenacious D like this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chemo sucks for the body, too

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Here, let me help everyone:

KPT would you prescribe this to a patient confirmed to have China Flu?

If so, when and under what conditions?

If not, why?

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Well, if the cure for China Flu requires fish, it’s been nice knowing y’all.

20. TennTradition

We can absolutely make calls without all the data. And we don’t have to have the studies to move forward with broader treatment. And the best I can tell we have in a lot of places. And that might backfire or it might help.

So far any moving forward has been uncoordinated responses by individual doctors or perhaps networks of doctors. It seems we have made our public health (coordinated) call which is we want to wait for data before recommending it. But that should always be re-evaluated. And allowing it to become increasingly politicized absolutely doesn’t help that process.

Volst53 likes this.