Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Well, the US Women received a pretty big defeat in court.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Unfortunately I doubt they go away

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Sounds like the men should sue if the women were paid more. Fair wages and all.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Their case wasn't very strong to begin with, which is why they worked it so hard in the court of public opinion. The sad part is, they are looking out for #1, which isn't entirely wrong, but it may have serious consequences for their professional league.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

the social media discourse on this has been all-time dumb, might be worse than COVID19 discourse.

6. Unimane

Actually, the more I look into what the women's team was trying to do, the happier I am they lost and the angrier I get at the narrative created in the public realm by writers like Grant Wahl and Caitlin Murray. This is from a huge lefty stalwart feminist sympathizer in myself, too. Essentially, the women were arguing they wanted more money because they got better results than the men even though they negotiated a CBA a few years ago, but without negotiating again. Then, they acted shocked (As did people like Grant Wahl, who, apparently, doesn't talk to lawyers when researching an article on a damn court case.) when they lost on this very obvious legal point. So obvious, in fact, the judge didn't even send it to trial. The best analogy I heard was they folded after they put up a $5 blind and then demanded $95 from the winning hand of $100 when the card reveal showed they had the best hand. It doesn't work this way.

Meanwhile, they have spent years using the court of public opinion to drum up anger and resentment towards the men's team and US Soccer (Who, it must be said, did themselves no favors in the process.), shitting on both extensively while demanding they both unequivocally support their case. I'm glad the men's team has given them a tepid amount of support consisting of little more than collective statements. Hell, I wish more players were like Jermaine Jones, who essentially told them to [uck fay] off.

Not only this, the nature of their CBA stated they were to be paid a salary for their appearances on the national team, rejecting the pay for appearance method for the men's team and for which they were offered. This created a smaller group of players, as the USSF didn't want to have pay for a bunch of yearly salaries for various players called into the team throughout the year's matches (Which is also why you see the same old guard at every tournament), and froze out other women from their opportunity to earn a spot on the national team. I also have to think this expensive court case will reduce the amount of money available for the women's pro league, which US Soccer subsidizes, putting the NWSL in danger of going into the same bankruptcy issues as their previous incarnations. So, they are screwing the other female players.

In the end, it appears to me to be a group of players who accomplished quite a bit and wanting to get paid for it. Unfortunately, it also seems to be a case where this has gone to their heads a bit and they are willing to burn a lot of things down to get their payday.

IP likes this.
  7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

9. Unimane

10. JohnnyQuickkick

11. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

[uck fay] Dortmund

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Bundesliga starting up next weekend

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Good god almighty [uck fay] Bayern. Brought their handball team tonight.

Unimane likes this.
  15. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Hey at least your new team fared better than the old team. Same result, though.

16. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

BTW Fonzie Davies is the best North American player in the world right now.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Pretty hard to come out with a different result when you’re playing against 14 men.

18. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I bet it seems like 14 when you only have 7-8 top quality players in your team, as opposed to a roster full of them. But yeah, just keep blaming the refs if it makes you feel better

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

No, it seems like 14 when you have one team swatting away shots in their own box with their arm and not even getting so much as a VAR review for it from the ref. Or exactly what I said.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

I’m guessing Bayern gets Juventus rules