COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Very few people die for others' poor choices. But that is what you are demanding, others bear your risk. Pandemics aren't normal life. Sorry you had to find out this way.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Vets do house calls or can come to a vehicle in the parking lot to pick up your animal while you sit in a car

A lot of medical stuff can be done at home with telehealth and other creative ways.

A dentist from my home town has just created a device for oral care that intakes filters and disinfects the air breathed by patient’s while letting them work on a patient.

lots of stores offer online shopping with pickup and offers an elderly early time to shop in person.

it’s not a perfect fail proof but way different than acting like we’re not taking precautions and just sacrificing grandpa.

3. fl0at_

Try it, for three month. If this is not terribly difficult, saddle up, and prove it. I'll watch the documentary and pimp it on you tube, and all over the internet.

I doubt you last a month, but prove me wrong! There are folks that like to think I just sit here smug and never think I'm wrong... now you can show me. Brighten them up, show them how wrong I can be.

I'm willing to live the life I advocate for... are you?

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I already have besides my job.

the only store I’ve been in since March is grocery store, hardware , and farm store.

we do almost all of our grocery shopping online and do a pick up.

I haven’t stepped in a restaurant since the end of February.

I’ve not been to in person church since March and and do online service.

5. fl0at_

I do exactly this as well, if this is the level of "open it up" you are talking about, then I'm definitely wrong, I don't want to argue, I want to agree.

Is this what you want for everyone else, though? Is this what you're saying we should all be doing? Because that's important.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

i don’t think I’m open. I would say I’ve been restricted due trying to protect my mom.

but I don’t think others should be forced to live like this by the government to protect others. That should be a personal responsibility thing

7. fl0at_

I can't get behind a philosophy that advocates that people do things the advocator isn't willing to do themselves.

We live in a society, there is very little personal responsibility. Even you yourself are demonstrating how little personal responsibility you have, in that you're restricted, to protect your mom. That's not personal responsibility.

Making your mom protect herself, that would be personal responsibility.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

indeed, the global poor have no options and can't absorb much in the way of any disruptions. this time the trigger is a pandemic. sometimes it is a drought, or a war, or a flood. they are vulnerable. that's what poverty is.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Personal responsibility isnt about anything, except oneself. Has nothing to do with someone elses choices

10. fl0at_

Personal responsibility doesn't actually apply here.

Anyone can go get this thing and spread it all over, and nothing would happen to them, ergo, there is no personal responsibility. It's not like taking personal responsibility for not drinking and driving, where if you damage property you could be sued, or if you harmed someone, prosecuted.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

12. fl0at_

The people that have had this thing confirmed, that had it hit them... it hit them hard. And I'm not even talking hospitalized, just... couldn't spend more than 15 minutes out of bed over a month. And it still hits them, daily, with fatigue and headaches.

The people that barely noticed... they still barely notice.

13. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Keep forgetting I can't buy clothes without trying them on.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Just to add to the sunshine ITT

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Cdc really decide not to track flu deaths this year?

17. fl0at_

Our flu tracking, reporting, and even vaccine, is going to be one hell of a crapshoot this year.

I don't know how the dominate strains were chosen for the vaccine this year, as I don't believe there were enough infections to choose.

It could be a bad flu season.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The Southern hemisphere basically didn't even have a flu season. We generally mimic so it will be interesting to see

A-Smith likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is incredible how closely the amount of virus detected in the sewage tracks with detected cases. There's a silver lining on these turds. This looks to be an excellent reconnaissance and population monitoring tool.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's hard to imagine we have a flu season of significance if we are mostly wearing masks and distancing. The flu is not as contagious as COVID, so even if COVID isn't being well controlled with current levels of prevention, flu might well be. But I may be blind to some transmission mechanism difference, like maybe flu getting around by surfaces more effectively than COVID (for example, don't know if true).