COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

My kids' school put in a needlepoint bipolar ionization system.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That's interesting but not too surprising. I've not looked at costs for installing this sort of system, but I can imagine these being appealing in some situations due to possibly requiring fewer changes to the system as a whole.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

groves was saying something about installing systems to help filter/kill virus. I kind of wonder if putting a UV-b light in your vent would help.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They're about to be the next big thing, a lot of schools and offices are putting them in.

Pretty cool system

https://www.rgf.com/products/air/reme-halo/

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Balter Beerworks here in Knoxville has been bragging about putting in a new state of the art ventilation system in their restaurant recently, but I’d be lying if I said I knew or understood any of the HVAC details beyond that.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It might, but how much depends on the design, if at all. It seems UV-c is what is being used in a lot of systems.

ASHRAE has a page on COVID that discusses vent systems and cleaners. We've been warned here at work against endorsing anything as a control beyond HEPA filtration and more fresh air in forced air systems (what ones we have). Still, some of the newer technology is pretty interesting and cool. A lot of it is unproven, but I imagine that is going to change rapidly.

https://www.ashrae.org/technical-resources/filtration-disinfection

IP likes this.
  8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I hope you are installing some of these or are in on the work. I would imagine there's about to be a boom in this if it isn't already underway.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

COVID 19 tip of the day:
    (courtesy of ASHRAE)

The SARS-CoV-2 virus may be aerosolized by flushing the toilet.

I mean it's kind of obvious, but I hadnt thought about it. It would definitely be a really crappy way to get infected.

fl0at_ likes this.
  10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

My in-laws put in some UV light filter thing in their house. We almost did a few years ago, because I get tired of changing filters.

I'm not sure if that would help against COVID or not. But I don't see why not.

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don’t know about CV, but we put one in a few years ago and improved our household’s respiratory health within a month. Living in such a high humidity area, mold was a constant problem I guess.

justingroves likes this.
  12. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Magilla Gorilla 39 on twitter has some threads on this. He spent a lot of time tracking potential sewer spread back several months ago.

IP likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The first one to be able to legit claim it does is going to be rich

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

UV-c surely would, but would fry a person too, if exposed.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Bathrooms are actually one of the biggest driver of spread

TennTradition likes this.
  16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Because that crap gets everywhere.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Got it. No longer flushing.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

these numbers are poo poo. if this trend doesn't reverse soon we will be looking at 6 figures of new cases a day in a few weeks and up to 1500 deaths a day.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm being entirely selfish here, but just let me get through Saturday. Shut the world down on Sunday, but please let us play this one football game Saturday.

justingroves likes this.
  20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

haha, you sound like me in 1985 when I was still a devout Christian and baseball season was about to start. "Please God, don't let the Rapture happen until AFTER baseball season is over, Cubs actually have a good team this year."

He cursed me for that by it taking another 30 years to win.