Who we gunna git? Part 4

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by utvol0427, Jan 18, 2021.

1. UTVolinExile

UTVolinExile Chieftain

Oh, hey, a Lane Kiffin sighting!

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The way I see it, it would be better than hiring Derek [uck fay]ing Dooley.
    I wouldn’t plan on it, but if your top choices turn you down I wouldn’t think it would be the worst idea

TangoUniform likes this.
  3. cpninja

cpninja Member

If you hire an interim you better have a big fish ready next year. Because Steele for 2021 and then pulling up any of the names being seriously tossed around this year is just a kick in the nuts. And given our track record of hiring bums I'd almost rather take a chance on a guy for 3-4 years starting now vs doing the same after the 21 season

TDVol1989 and A-Smith like this.
  4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If you have an interim how do you recruit to that? Need to get someone in here this year.

TDVol1989 and IP like this.
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

I said the same thing in 2010 and it’s ideal. But skipping a class is better than what happened back then

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

also, why wouldn't you if you knew that you could be hiring a new coach since November? the only reason not to be prepared to in that circumstance is gross incompetence. If so, why are you giving the AD a 37,500 a month parachute over the next few years?!

This is a public institution. WTF?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

fair

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Barrett Sallee just said that he thinks it might be why O’Brien hasn’t signed with Bama yet. That said, he is predicting Steele for a year and then either Chadwell or Gus.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Transfer portal can help with a 1 year “pause” on recruiting or whatever. That said, if we can get O’Brien that is so much better than the Steele route.

yont sum iss? likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

BOB has been in play for 3 weeks.

A-Smith likes this.
  12. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Maybe they already have the HC on the line, but they want the AD in place before announcing it for the optics? Give the illusion that it’s not just big money people and Peyton Manning calling the shots.

justingroves and Memtownvol like this.
  13. JohnnyQuickkick

It’s actually BOB the Basilio caller though

Memtownvol, TDVol1989 and A-Smith like this.
  14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, with a competent athletic department, this wouldn't be the start of the coaching search, but the final stages. Hopefully, that's the case here but I'm doubtful.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I would be more than a little concerned if they hired Jerod Mayo but that dude was fairly impressive on the radio just now. Not surprising at all that Belichick offered him a job.

16. CardinalVol

Football IQ is off the charts.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

They asked him when he was taking over towards the end, and he said "as soon as I get the call." Said he didn't see coordinator/playcalling as a necessary step towards being a head coach/leader, kind of implying that he wanted to skip that step. Not sure what I think of that.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Too much positivity in here.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Give it a few weeks. It will run its course.

A-Smith likes this.
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bill let him call the defense from the huddle for 2 years, he's already been a coordinator while playing