22 Class

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by CardinalVol, Jan 31, 2021.

1. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Just like Pruitt failed to realize you can’t cheat brazenly outside Tuscaloosa, he failed to realize you can’t have the same joyless and brutal environment outside Tuscaloosa.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

2023 Qb from Ravenwood, Chris Parsons picked up a UT offer. This is the kid I mentioned somewhere who was in Texas. Ravenwood coach told me he may be the best athlete to come thru the school

Memtownvol and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I know your typical RHS kid is an out of state transplant moved to that area via their parents job. In state loyalty isn't really a thing for a lot of students there being they aren't actually from Tennessee, but surely we get a highly rated Ravenwood kid at some point? We've missed out on some studs from that program specifically. We need to get the pipeline rolling at all the powerhouse Williamson and Rutherferd CO. programs.

Ssmiff likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

True. Many of the ravenwood kids have been transplants. The TE that went to Clemson is just too thin for sec TE imo. The rb could play. The wr who went to FL and plays nfl was kindof a late bloomer.
    I know they have Texas and mater dei kids this year and some other talent. We need a couple kids from there for sure. Believe they have had an lb and rb recently who would've helped us. Ravenwood and being in wmsn city and free has attracted families from around the country so we should see even more, though right now there is really not many places to buy..

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I'm a RHS alum, so I follow the program from afar. I'll check out a game every now and then when I'm visiting the folks. The 5* Clemson TE reminded me of a young Jermey Shockey, I thought he was legit when I saw him, but I'm no scouting guru. The Florida WR was the son of the Titans WR coach at the time and would just blow by kids like Randy Moss in HS. He was a pretty highly rated recruit that Butch wanted-signed with Ole Miss originally. The RB that made the Falcons squad last year just wasn't big enough when he was 18 to get any traction with recruiting, he played for TSU and dominated there. People close to the program have told me the LB that went to Michigan wasn't exactly coveted by Pruitt for whatever reason.

They definitely have the program rolling now and seemingly have a few blue chips every year. That school has done a good job with developing players for a few years now. I know they just rehired their old state championship winning coach from Florence AL. He was the HS coach of Dee Beckworth, so at least RHS has a coach that has worked with UT before. Maybe the new staff can make some inroads. We need to lockdown Wilco and Rutherford in addition to the Big 3 private programs in Nashville (MBA, BA, Ensworth).

6. Ssmiff

Yeah man I know RHS well. Coached many of them when they were 5 and 6. My sons are 21, 18 and 14 and all Brentwood, but the neighborhood abuts to me so they all know each other. RW kicked our ass in lacrosse this year so we need to step up but they beat MBA too and had a squad.

7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Ravenwood/Brentwood is a fun lil HS rivalry. It was always a war regardless of what sport was being played. Good HS memories

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Jordan Phillips in. Seems like a good thing to have an athletic dude with a wrestling background on the DL

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  9. Ssmiff

Got a big OL from Michigan. Sounds like a really good and respectful kid and no pre Madonna in him. RS this year, train and get stronger and be ready for some PT next year. 6'4 300ish and loved the campus, coaches and player vibe

Memtownvol likes this.
  10. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I prefer post Madonnas too.

If memory serves, that’s the same HS that gave us John Kelly

11. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

No but that HS produces P5 talent every year.

12. Ssmiff

I peeked at VN. Some not happy due to ranking. Covid yr his Jr year, limited play and camps the summer prior. You can't base much of anything off last year imo. But his video appears to show he stays low and plows people off the snap and still has a year to grow and improve. 6'4, 300, wants to be coached and wants to wear Orange. I have a hard time finding a negative about it.

Memtownvol likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

They are not very sharp over on VN. If you asked them if they would rather sign a 3 star who becomes an All-American or a 5 star who becomes an All-American, they'd actually give an answer without hesitation.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ll never say no to a 5 star lineman but lately they haven’t panned out.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just think some think the recruiting is the same as the results. There's a strong correlation, but the game still occurs on a field.

16. Ssmiff

Not for us they haven't. OL is hard imo as some still have a lot of baby fat, or like Richmond, were 100 lbs heavier than any DL they faced in HS. Give me a big tough kid who wants to be here and is coachable.

17. chavisut

Trey Smith was a 5 star on multiple services and played even worse competition.

18. Ssmiff

True and he had the mentality. What other 4 and 5 stars have we signed that panned out the last few years? Blair, Richmond and Wayna didn't. Cant remember which other ones were highly rated, while walkon Dayne Davis will probably start at LT

19. chavisut

We’ve stunk it up. Not like many 3 stars have been lighting it up either.

20. Ssmiff

Fwiw, I bet he's bumped to a 4*. Evidently 6'5 330 was last measurement and did well at a couple camps