Pitt reactions

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 11, 2021.

1. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

They gave up 41 at home to Pitt. That’s not a “bright spot” in any way.

utvol0427 likes this.
  2. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

why do you say that? Maybe I’m missing something but I thought the rule was pretty black and white you just can’t ever do that now.

3. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

The rule has to do with a defenseless player. The dumbass ref screwed up when he flagged Banks because the ball carrier wasn't defenseless and was still driving so the crew covered for him by changing the call to deadball unnecessary roughness even though the whistle hadn't been blown to end the play.

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You can't have a dead ball personal foul if the whistle hasn't blown.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Kesling still wasn't very good. I'm eventually going to watch a game when I get a some sort of television service.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Backup center and backup QB…

7. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Try this link out war. Use the menu option "TV Streams" at the top

http://buffstreams.is/indexcracked2

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Watching again this morning. I dont think his throw to Hiatt was a bad one. One of his best this year imo. Hiatt went up a little awkward. Think he may have mistracked the ball a tad as it was coming out of the sky.
    The rest of his bad throws were awful and he missed another td chance when he took a sack and fumbled.
    Why not throw at least one short and get us a PI call. Not even a chance at a jump ball

9. Ssmiff

Couple more things. That was about as a well coached and played 1st quarter we have had in awhile. PI penalty was bs. Ball was 15 feet above his head when contact was made. On the 3rd down play when Pitt qb rolled to his right and threw back, Tremblay was pulled down to the ground by his jersey sleeve it appears. Amazing Pitt played an entire game without holding call, and I have seen several, but none as big as the miss on the td after the PI.

10. Ssmiff

JH won't have the patience for very long. This is an easy pass and wr has room to adjust if he throws it inside a little. Sack/fumble instead.

Attached Files:

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The defense and special teams played well. The offense had receivers running wide open. They didn't capitalize and they got beat. It should have been a 21-0 first quarter.

You don't waste possessions, you've got Pitt buried.

TDVol1989 and Memtownvol like this.
  12. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

So, did CH miss an opportunity decline the offsetting penalties? Did he think that he might have better field position after the punt than after an enforced block in the back?

From the rule book:
    VI. Team A’s legal forward pass is intercepted by B45, who advances several yards. On the return, B23 clips and A78 tackles B45 by pulling and twisting his face mask. RULING: Since Team B had not fouled before the change of possession, it may decline offsetting fouls and retain possession after completion of the clipping penalty.

Tar Volon likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The refs were so [uck fay]ing terrible they wouldn't have known what that meant TT.

Indy likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

Our D gave the O back the ball 5 or 6 times in the 2nd half giving us an opportunity to tie. Also made good 2nd half adjustments again while only giving up 14 pts in the 2nd half and doing a lot better on 3rd downs. Those are definitely bright spots. Thought we tackled well too. Stopped the run. Qb dunked and dunked on us a lot and escaped a few times but D didn't look confused or like there were many busts

TDVol1989, NorrisAlan and Memtownvol like this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

D played as well as they could, I can't really complain there. I wish there wasn't such a drastic drop off at linebacker when Banks and Mitchell come off, but it is what it is

NorrisAlan likes this.
  16. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yes, but I think the block in the back would’ve backed us inside the 10, so it’s not crazy to take your chances with another try. Just didn’t work.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It would have been half the distance from around the 16 or 17 yard line, so yeah. The thing is, that wasn't an option for the officiating crew.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yeah that makes sense. I just hadn’t seen this angle discussed. Is it possible CH waived the opportunity to decline? Given the yardage and field position, it’s possible.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No, the officials didn't speak to him long enough. They had a circle jerk at the hash and waived him off

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

we really didn't get any breaks in that game. that we only lost by one score is kind of amazing

Memtownvol likes this.