COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Look I understand the Vax and reducing risks of severe covid issues, but antivax people are in i told you so mood with the boosters, break thru cases and supposed lack of effectiveness.
    I can still be on the vaccine side yet also understand why people are skeptical as it was not presented to any of us that this is where we would be with so many vaxed testing positive.

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

From the very beginning it was presented as “mutations can and will affect the efficacy of the vaccine.” And these people weren’t taking the vaccine when it was working extremely well against the original strain and the early variants, because they were making a stupid ass political stand. Now that the mutations have resulted in further vaccine resistant strains, in large part because of their stupidity, they want to take a victory lap? Yeah, [uck fay] them

The Dooz likes this.
  3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

This meme feels relevant [​IMG]

4. Ssmiff

I dont agree with your first sentence. Biden himself said "if you get the vaccine you won't get covid" just a couple months ago. Fauci never told Americans the efficacy would be in question and multiple boosters would be needed. "Effective against new strains.." I recall, until recently. I'm saying I understand why people think the way they do in this situation.
    And if we had 100% vaxed, everybody would still be getting covid evidently. I dont think people expected this or were told it was coming

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It’s not my fault the only people they listen to are Biden and Fauci, both of whom many of them profess to hate.

There were absolutely questions, reports, studies, etc. around the efficacy of vaccines against variants and talks of variants eluding antibodies (whether from natural immunity or vaccinations) going alllllll the way back to the beginning of the year. It’s why I made sure I got Pfizer or Moderna and not J&J.

So, you have a group of people who are saying “I told you so” and many of whom are the “I did my own research” crowd who clearly did no research, and they can [uck fay] themselves.

The people that didn’t expect this? Well, frankly they need to pay better attention, it’s been out there for a long time.

JayVols likes this.
  6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

My wife & daughter just returned (Friday Dec 17th) from a trip to NYC...

They attended the last showings of Hamilton & Harry Potter before Broadway shut down.

I knew them going was a bad idea. Praying they are ok. Both are boosted & have had COVID- Original Recipe. They also were masked everywhere they went.

I'm living in my man cave basement again. I duct taped over the only HVAC vent. Not going to sugar coat it. I'm terrified for all of us. Just hoping we'll all be ok.

From the looks of it, I'm headed towards another total lockdown including my exercise. Like so many, I'm so over this shit, but it's not over any of us. So, we all have no choice but to soldier on & protect ourselves as best we can. Please be safe & considerate out there, my friends.

Poppa T and Daddy Gee like this.
  7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Be safe brother, I’m sure between all the vaccines and the previous covid cases, y’all will all be fine

justingroves and JayVols like this.
  8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Hope so.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Feels like if it’s been a week and nobody has symptoms or has tested positive, you guys are in the clear.

IP likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is hard for me to deal with bullshit clearly misremembered like vaccines working against future strains. No one could know and that was said all along, exclusively. That was WHY everyone needed to get vaccinated to limit the opportunity for variants to arise.

But put all the vaccine shit aside. Why can't we put tests in every family's hands? It would change the game and greatly reduce transmissions if people could quickly check.

11. Ssmiff

If everybody was vaccinated, covid would be gone? I don't agree. New strains would appear. Just like the flu and vaccine that changes every year.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Why do you think nobody gets polio anymore?

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

But why would anyone think that the vaccine was going to be effective for them, if others didn't get it? Don't they see how the flu works every. single. year? Where even if you get the flu vaccine, you still might get the flu, because... so many other assholes don't?

How do people still continue to think things that are so clearly in evidence all around them, for all their lives? How?

14. fl0at_

No vaccine has ever failed to be effective when the correct number of people were vaccinated. Why would this one be the first?

This vaccine will work just like any other: if not enough people don't get vaccinated, the virus will mutate and spread. If enough people get vaccinated, it will not.

Poppa T likes this.
  15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Because they are either 1) willfully ignorant, 2) contrarian to the point of absurdity, 3) are dipshits trying to make a ridiculous political stand, 4) selfish, 5) unable to comprehend the available information or 6) some mix of 1-5. And feel free to add anything I missed

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

wouldn’t it be more like I still get the flu because there’s so many strains and adaptations that they miss on the flu viruses that will in circulation that year, even given their best scientific guess.

the good news with this vaccine is that I still get the protective effect, even though It’s weak against fighting infection due to the nature of corona viruses.

I know the covid test my wife sends of to the cdc 1.3 percent of them is an unidentified new variant. So it’s always changing and highly adaptable, which is why this was always going to be an endemic virus

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

We will see a "universal flu vaccine" in the next few years that uses the mRNA tech. It won't get it all completely, but will be very effective. Over time, because not enough people will take it, its effectiveness may wane.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

19. fl0at_

They're pretty good at marking which strain is going to be dominate. The flu rages because not enough people get the vaccine.

Being broad on "coronavirus" is like saying primates are good at flying planes, because humans are primates. This specific coronavirus has differences that the others do not.

It is not highly adaptable. It is given the ability to adapt. It is also not likely to reinfect quickly, the way some common cold viruses reinfect, sometimes through use of the same toothbrush. Since it's nature isn't like that, and it has targetable properties, it can be eliminated through vaccination. But won't because of primitive primates.

20. Ssmiff

What was the population when polio was a problem. Were office buildings, trains and subways packed as people also lived on top of each other?
    Those are factors and comparing covid to polio seems like a stretch