COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

So, why do you think nobody gets it anymore?

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Jesus wished it away. Through him all things are possible.

The Dooz likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Did it mutate in a matter of months?

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Why do you think it didn’t mutate in a matter of months and nobody gets it anymore?

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

All viruses have the same chance of mutation

6. Ssmiff

No idea. Maybe they didn't rush a polio vaccine out and cause more mutations among the 35 people walking around at the time

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Nope, that’s not it.

Try again.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Vaccines don't cause more mutations. How even did that enter your mind

justingroves and Poppa T like this.
  9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Also, vaccines are tested and approved in phases.

There are no specific days, weeks, months or years needed or required to complete testing and approval.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Explain what you mean. A mutation has a random chance of occurring each replication. So the more people it is circulating, there are millions to billions more replications occurring on a per case basis. What causes mutation is the volume of people infected, making a low probability event occur more often.

Imagine if it were a 50% (high probability) event, like a coin flip. Are we more likely to get tails to land in 1 coin flip, or 10 coin flips? It is the same principle. The vaccines actually decrease the chance for mutations, not increase it. This is some dark ages ignorant shit, floating around in conversations.

Poppa T likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That's one of the most bizarre statements from an ID doctor I've ever seen.

"On a per-site level, DNA viruses typically have mutation rates on the order of 10−8 to 10−6 substitutions per nucleotide site per cell infection (s/n/c). RNA viruses, however, have higher mutation rates that range between 10−6 and 10−4" that doesn't change with vaccines

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

If anything, it shows that half-measures of a population getting vaccinated drives those mutations - the ones that show any kind of resistance to vaccines - to become the dominant strain. It doesn't cause more mutations. Because vaccines don't allow the original variants to spread, ergo allowing fewer possibilities of mutations.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

But vaccines even prevent hospitalization for the new strains so it's still a point in favor of vaccination. So that is really one of the dumbest statements I've ever seen from a "public health expert" and I only took a few college virology courses.

15. Ssmiff

Quite a few articles mention the same thing lyls. You asked how on earth I came up with that. Well I read it and didn't say it was a driving force, but obviously people who say vaccines can't cause mutation aren't the experts they try to pretend to be via Google

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Again, they don't cause mutations. Anyone saying that is wrong.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sounds like your source is saying you are wrong and we are right.

TennTradition, The Dooz and lylsmorr like this.
  18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Vaccines mutate at a predictable and scientifically proven rate regardless of vaccines. We just see more mutations with half-population vaccines because the virus is still being allowed to spread and the spread allows more time for more mutations. So in some weirdly odd way, I guess she's right.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Your own article refutes your claim, my man. Read the words. Natural selection continues, including in an environment with vaccines. Thus, if there is negative selection from a vaccine (or anything) it will enter into selecting useful mutations. Vaccines are not special in that regard.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Didn't see that part, so yeah that sums it up easily. Half-measures of vaccinations are the cause of more mutations showing.