POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

With that said putting any personal politics aside, Biden seems energized tonight and not so sleepy. "High energy" as our former POTUS would say. The amphetamines they *allegedly* load him up on whenever the occasion calls for it are definitely working.

Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders delivering the GOP response afterwards is an interesting choice as well. It is not impossible to foresee her becoming a huge national player for the GOP in years future. If the GOP were to ever nominate a women, she has to be on the "way too early" short list of nationally known GOP women who could potentially secure a GOP Presidential nomination down the road. Just a guess though.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was absolutely mandatory everywhere I went to school, haha.

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Like literally mandatory that you actually must participate in reciting the Pledge yourself? Or did it just seem that way because of social pressures felt from your peers and teachers always participating in the Pledge around you? I can see how growing up in public schools within rural TN around the era of 9/11 could compel someone to feel like they had no choice put to stand up and recite the Pledge with everyone else. However if your teachers/school literally demanded that you had to participate in the Pledge against your own free will, then that was very wrong of wherever you attended school and is illegal AF under the 1a.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

You would be punished if you didn't stand up and recite it. Union County public schools. They absolutely disregarded students rights to the point of flat out stating they didn't apply in school. They lost a lawsuit over forcing kids to attend a crusade for christ after I graduated. That went on the whole time I was in high school. Rights are only for the right there.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Her tone in the middle of her speech really contrasted from the SOTU in a way that made her look petty but she spoke to the folks she was trying to speak to.

6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Well that was/is highly messed up and illegal of Union County public schools. That is certainly something I would protest against regardless of how much I may disagree with someone personally for not appreciating/participating in the Pledge of Allegiance. 1A is just too sacred and important of a right to completely disregard just because something offends you.

For example I don't like seeing people burning the American flag. It's distasteful and offensive to me. However at the end of the day my opinion on flag burning matters not one iota. Flag burning is protected under the 1A and I would find it exponentially much more offensive, distasteful and un-American if our govt made flag burning illegal. The fringes on the right who advocate for the criminality of flag burning scare me just as much as the fringes on the left who advocate for the criminality of "hate speech". Outside the obvious 1A exceptions like "yelling fire in a crowded theatre when there is no fire", 1A is something that must never be infringed upon.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

According to the flag code, you are supposed to burn the flag to dispose of it.

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Thought overall it was a pretty predictable SOTU response like we are used to seeing from anyone who ever gives the response as someone representing the dissenting party. She's a comforting voice to many on that side who represents someone that confronted what many conservatives see as a national media infrastructure that is overwhelmingly stacked against their political POV. Youngest governor in America too. I can see why the GOP selected her tonight and might have larger plans for her politically down the road.

9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Isn't that a military thing that doesn't apply to civilians? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm pretty certain the Supreme Court settled the flag burning issue at one point correctly ruling that it was protected speech under 1A.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

At a job I had decades ago, we had a guy lie about an injury at work. We suspected he was faking the severity at least. His condition seemed to drastically improve when OT was available and regress once it wasn't. One of our foremen pointed out to us that his limp seemed to go away and reappear when certain people were nearby. His physical therapist advised our nurse that the pain he described having was not consistent with his injury or consistent in general, and the doc he had been seeing had suspicions based on the same sort of observations. This went on for several weeks, months really before we discussed the situation with our worker's comp carrier. The como carrier did what carriers do when they have a lot of evidence that someone is malingering. They hired a private investigator. The threshold is actually pretty high for comp carriers to do this sort of thing, but in this case they decided to do so.

No more than a week later, the PI provided video of him climbing up under his car in his driveway, lifting all kinds of heavy objects, and performing yard work and other assorted work that he claimed unable to do or should have been unable to do based on his reported condition. The doctor he had been seeing was so mad over this that he requested that we bring the guy in to his office so he could show the video before he released him from care which we did. The guy broke down crying on the way back to the job site pleading for his job.

If you are wondering what this has to do with the pledge, I'm getting around to it. You see we didn't fire the guy for the malingering. Sure it was fraud and clearly a fireable offense based on policy, but our corporate HR folks almost came unglued when we gave them a courtesy call letting them know. It was as bad as if the cafeteria there had run out of cobbler, but that's another story. The guy was pleading for his job, but he wasn't about to lose it over this. We fired him a week later because the day we took him to the doctor's office so the doc could make fun of his alleged limp right before he told him to get out, he collected his things and walked out the door without returning or even calling for three days. That was job abandonment, and folks got fired fairly regularly for that with no questions asked.

Perception often becomes reality regardless of the technicalities at play.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I haven't watched the SOU for many, many years.

However, I did see there were numerous postings of an exchange from the speech, so I checked it out. I thought Biden did a masterful job setting up the Social Security comment in the clip I saw and I've always argued Joe isn't senile, he's just always been kind of a bumbling, doddering public figure.

I haven't the faintest idea how the rest of the speech went and don't really care too much.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

If republicans aren’t trying to end SS, it’s kinda bullshit to tell America they are, but lying gets votes from sheep who believe everything politicians spit. My understanding is one republican last year started the attempt and was shot down immediately. Biden presented as multiple GOP are trying now and it’s just not true.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

SoU...Pay attention to the ringmaster's opening address for this season and be sure to enjoy your bread.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

When I started working, people retired at 65. Now it is 67. Now the gop is looking to move it to 70. That's a cut.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/02/us/politics/republicans-social-security-medicare.html

The Dooz likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Here is evidence that it is.

https://www.wamc.org/commentary-opi...-wants-to-sunset-social-security-and-medicare

17. Ssmiff

that was one dude from last year and no support. Biden claiming multiple republicans want the same thing is not true, according to those he is accusing, which is why we heard boos and jeers.
    Fact is they need to figure out something as funds deplete. Intentionally lying to pit people against each other will always be bullshit.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Oh look, let's make it official that we never have to fix social security or gun laws or name your failsafe propaganda the GOPers and the Dems trot out every cycle. Why fix government when you can run on it again? Make no mistake, this notion appeals to both kinds of big party crony. It's cowardice and consolidates power where it currently resides.

Any chance we could name this the Election Rerun Act? Nah, it would be the Courage in Governance Act because that's how we name things.

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Did Biden say most? Are you intentionally lying?