POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Privatization of SS at any level would be terrible. Some things just have to be communal in its entirety, and a safety net for all peoples is one of them.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

States and local communities should provide their people safety nets. Not the federal government imo

SS has to be dramatically overhauled and is already a broken [uck fay]ing mess ran by liars and psychopaths

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

How?

I have the option to privatize half of my account. If you don't want to, you don't have to. You were given 4 fund options that are offered to government employees. It would have been a home run.

VolDad likes this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not against social security but I'm also okay if you could opt out, never receive SS but also get to invest how you want

zehr27, VolDad and CardinalVol like this.
  5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Sharp downturn in the market turns the funds red, people panic, and we have to bail out short term losses. SS money will never really be allowed to see any risk no matter the proposal at the time. Imagine what 2008 would have been like when we bailed out banks and car companies like it was going out of style if we told the peasants they shouldn't worry, they will recover some day.

If the only investment options were the G fund or F fund, that might have worked, but that wouldn't make much for folks anyway. Also, those funds wouldn't have shifted government collected dollars into the market to inflate value.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, not all. Just repeating bread and circuses doesn't really engage with the situation, you know? You do you, but I'll be damned if I will take any stones from folks who have checked out. You don't get a medal or elevated status for pointing out the obvious. "Shit's [uck fay]ed." Yep, and it won't un[uck fay] itself.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

He's still in Congress, right? Did he disavow the idea since then?

I'm not, ultimately, worried about who said what and when, but I am glad there is agreement in maintaining SS. Now, if they can just raise the caps on it.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe he changed his mind. I can't read faces well.

Unimane likes this.
  9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I would imagine net worth tests will have to come soon, effectively treating social security similar to a Medicaid safety net than a Medicare “entitlement.”

gcbvol likes this.
  10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Checked out? At least I'm not on here repeating a party's tired old mantra. The 80's called. Walter Mondale wants his talking point back. Seriously, who has checked out?

zehr27 likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

and Biden is president. He advocated cutting SS 40 years ago.

12. Unimane

Eh, kinda. He advocated for raising the age of benefits and means testing based upon wealth, which is not the same as what Lee and Scott, among others, advocated. I'm for raising the cap myself, but Biden's ideas here aren't ones I necessarily like.

But, this means Lee didn't disavow the statement, though, right?

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

No idea if he did or not but don’t believe you or IP realized the video was 13 years old or you wouldn’t have linked it.

14. Unimane

I don't really care if it was if it still represents the ideas he believes.

15. Unimane

Looking at some other comments from speeches yesterday, can someone make sense to me what Sarah Sanders is talking about here when she says "We are under attack in a left-wing culture war we didn’t start and never wanted to fight. "Every day, we are told that we must partake in their rituals, salute their flags and worship their false idols."

We have a flag? I legitimately don't understand what she's referencing.

16. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

It's the rainbow flag. The Huckabees are strongly anti-LGBT. Ole Mike was more outraged over same-sex marriage than his friend Josh Duggar molesting his sister.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

[​IMG]

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

SHS came off as rigid and robotic. It sounded like she was reading a ChatGPT generated speech on or about wokeness.

19. Unimane

I thought it might be, but wondered if it was something more metaphorical. The victimhood is strong.

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Rainbow flag.