Bama Thoughts NSFW

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 21, 2023.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Second half was bad no matter how you dice it.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Given the way the game was called on the other side, this may be the worst call of the night.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I. . . am not sure what point you're making here. Do you think giving up 7 points in a half is bad? Or do you think I think giving up 4.5 per play is bad? The first half was objectively good by almost every measure. The second half was not. I won't deny they were put in bad situations, but they didn't help themselves. You're not going on the road in the SEC anywhere except Nashville and not get put in some bad situations.

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

If you told me before the game started that Milton would go 28-41 for 271 yards and 2 TDs with no picks and rush for 59 yards I would have said we're coming out of there with a W no problem.

We obviously didn't keep thing going in the second half, but the officiating really affected this game. The fair catch on the 3 and the sleeper hold on Barron (that was the long TD play to start the 2nd half) really sprung UA in the third quarter and we never bounced back. You take those 2 ridiculous calls back and the game is a struggle to the end, IMO. But, we'll never know.

LawVol16, warhammer and Tar Volon like this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

A lot of that is situational, play calling, and just a lack of total plays.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

people are rightfully frustrated with Milton at times but he’s become the scapegoat for the whole team and staff failing. Blaming him for tonight is just people being drunk and angry

LawVol16 likes this.
  7. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

I was too hammered to pay attention to the game at this point. YOU MUST OVERCOME OFFICIATING as a Volunteer. How can I be more clear in this going forward?

8. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I don't blame Milton.

Playcalling and coaching sucked. Straight up.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Im just saying that I don’t care how many yards per play they gave up. 7 points is 7 points.

We gave up 27 defensive points. That should be enough to win a game where we had 20 points at halftime despite blowing two excellent red zone opportunities. The defense played well enough to win. The offense didn’t.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This team needs a leader in the worst way. There doesn't seem to be any player that steps up and keeps guys accountable when the stupid shit starts happening.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think it’s a mix.

His total performance was good overall, but his strip sack hurt us really badly. He only completed 3 passes for more than 1 yard in the second half, outside of the last 2 drives when the game was basically over. That’s not good enough to win (though I think some of it is coaching and the refs).

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I am stonecold sober and he's a mentally deficient qb. He cannot, will not improvise and does not understand game situations

warhammer, TDVol1989 and utvol0427 like this.
  13. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I still don't think he's got it. But the fact was, before the game started we were going to need a solid game from him to have a chance. He missed on some throws early in the game that should have been TDs where we got FGs. But my point is, the stat line doesn't always tell the whole story nor account for poor officiating and other happenings in the game.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

the blaming him for everything is over the top. 287 with 2 tds and 60 yards rushing at Bama is likely one of the better stat days at Bama for a UT qb.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He didn't do shit offensively in the 2nd half until the game was over.

TDVol1989 and Indy like this.
  16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

TBF, his first TD was an overthrow where Squirrel bailed him out.

You can’t ignore Milton’s second half and expect to be taken seriously.

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The rule says an invalid fair catch signal is “any waving signal” by a member of the receiving team that doesn’t meet the definition of a valid fair catch signal (one hand raised clearly above the head and waving side to side more than once).

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don’t know what game some people watched. The first half was good. The second half was non existent (aside from his only impact play, the strip sack).

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well no waiving occurred.

warhammer and justingroves like this.
  20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

Regarding the Golesh point, do we know how play calling is handled? Is Heupel calling the plays and the guy in the booth relaying to Heupel what he sees on the field in regards to defensive alignments and tendencies or is the OC calling plays or a combination of both guys calling plays?