Bama Thoughts NSFW

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 21, 2023.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Because it isn't

warhammer likes this.
  2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

First half: 138 yards on 31 plays, 4.5 yards per play

Second half, before they started running clock on the last two three-and-outs: 224 yards on 28 plays, 8.0 yards per play.

If you want to play the what-if game and take out the touchdown with the hold, it's still 6.6 yards per play. For reference, national average is around 5.4. Alabama's offense averages 5.5.

Defense was great in the first half. They were a liability in the second half. They weren't the only liability in the second half, but they had plenty of chances to keep us on top, and they let Alabama play significantly above their usual offensive prowess. If that's 2022 Bama on the other side, the second half performance is fine. Against the 2023 bunch, it was subpar.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You harp on having a running threat at qb

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The refs kept a few drives alive for Alabama

SetVol13, zehr27 and warhammer like this.
  5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm starting to wonder if Heupel hasn't pissed off the referees over the last couple of years. Obviously, all the coaches get after the refs, but I'm wondering if instead of the normal criticizing Heupel is going with the personal "I [uck fay]ed your mother, you blind mother[uck fay]er" type of attacks.

Umps don't like Vitello and it impacts the way they call our games. Are we seeing the same thing with Heupel?

Memtownvol likes this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They don't like the offense

7. Tar Volon

They did, no doubt. The defense was put in some bad situations because of bad calls or bad offense. But they didn't respond. And in the first half, they did. Last week, they did. They've got the dudes to get us out of some jams, and they didn't in the second half.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I thought they mixed in the right amount of Milton runs. What were his stats without the sacks?

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yeah I like a running qb. Milton really isn’t one and him being leading rusher with 40 yards isn’t good.

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It’s not. It is actually considered an invalid fair catch. If done after the ball is caught you get the ball where you waived your arms (end zone, touch back) or if before ball is caught then where the ball is caught or downed.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Almost every good thing you get out of Milton has to be micromanaged by the coach/play call. You need your qb to be able to go out there and just play football.

Memtownvol likes this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hard to respond when your best pass rusher is getting held by and if the dbs play physical they get holding calls on them. You can’t really do much as a coordinator with that.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I can see that. It requires them to move with urgency and actually be on point with what they are doing instead of wandering around the field between plays.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That’s for a valid fair catch. Read on about an invalid fair catch.

15. Ssmiff

we didn’t have an rb run for more than 30 total yards

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is 100% how he is, he's a damn robot with no feel for the game or any situational awareness. He stands flat footed in the pocket and has never stepped up

Tar Volon likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

Holding call on Lally on 3rd down was horseshit

Memtownvol, Volsdude and warhammer like this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The dumbass 6th year senior qb with no feel for the game and the striped shirts completely changed the game in the 2nd half.

Memtownvol and warhammer like this.
  19. Tar Volon

The game we got out of him today was about the best game we can expect from him. I thought the offensive coaches did a fantastic job coaxing every ounce of production they could out of him. Because he can't improvise at all. This is why you won't hear me complaining about the in-game coaching on offense. The issues on the line, yes. But we were up against a very good defense with a quarterback who has no feel for the game and we were absolutely getting ours until we started committing stupid penalties (and Mincey got hurt).

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They gave up 7 points in the first half. That’s more important than yards per play.

As Groves said, refs kept multiple drives alive, and we went 3 and out on 4 out of our 5 second half offensive drives prior to going down 14. The defense was set up to fail the entire afternoon.