Willie Martinez's future

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Nov 26, 2023.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is he from Duke or something?

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Nobody is from Duke unless you mean New Jersey

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

No, but they tend to hire coordinators when they need a HC so its just a hope right now.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Wishful thinking

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

So you think that we will give him a new contract?

6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Either that or replace him with somebody who also cant coach CBs but is a bad recruiter on top. Nobody is lining up for these defensive assistant jobs, but even if they were, there's no name that stands out. Literally the only ones I could possibly think of is Sam Carter out of Purdue, Kendrick Shaver from MsSt, or Corey Bell from FAU. And Sam Carter is a big stretch, tbh.

7. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I don't give a shit what we do on the defensive staff as long as Rodney Garner coaches here for as long as possible.

8. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

If they do, here's to hoping they don't include AHC title in the process. Both Jones (at UT) and Heuple (at UCF) gave Willie that upgrade.

I don't know what the issue is re: the root cause for our awful performance in the secondary. At times it looked like they were clueless; seemed at a loss as to how to play zone and were slow, comparatively speaking.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

Watching Georgia’s corners play was like watching guys play a different sport. I think it’s coaching but also a different quality of athlete. Hopefully some of the young guys are closer to that.

Volsdude, NorrisAlan and Poppa T like this.
  10. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yeah. It is my understanding that Willie is a pretty good recruiter.

I always wonder if the position coaches take the hit for a DC's poorly conceived scheme.

I thought we had gotten past the "3rd and Chavis" days. I guess not?

I am not a big Wille fan. I am not a big Banks fan. I have no clue what we will do.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

It seems like Banks has had a game or 2 every season where it seems like know what we are and do what we are good at, and then a couple of games where we’re completely on rollerskates and then the rest are just meh.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Banks tries to do too much scheme wise and we play slow because of it.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

Yeah and the better games have been when he cuts the rush loose and plays man

14. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Maybe that is it. Heuple needs a smart QB and Banks needs a smart D-QB.

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Are we really doing “who you gunna git” with Willie Martinez?

16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

It sure seems that way.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Teams can run a 3 man route into zone and won’t have anybody near any of them. Our dbs are clueless on slants and it’s obvious when they are coming. Slants or crosses or rb to flat v man and we are toast.
    When we play zone wrs just find a spot and we will have 3 guys 7 yards away from him staring at the qb and head not on a swivel. Safeties never reading and coming down on the ball. Just sit back and watch them throw and catch then go tackle. Drives me crazy.

Tenacious D, Poppa T and IP like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Five to ten yard passes all day, then YAC. When a team realizes it, it is all they do.

Tenacious D likes this.
  19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And this leads to 8 min drives and then a three and out for us and we have the ball for 1:00 per quarter.

Tenacious D likes this.
  20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

My biggest issue is there’s a disconnect between philosophies between offense and defense.

I don’t hate a bend but don’t break style but that doesn’t fit with our fast pace offense mindset.

The last thing I’m going to let you do is a long methodical drive keeping the offense off the field and just touching the ball three times in a half.