Willie Martinez's future

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Nov 26, 2023.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

If his contract is just going to expire, does that mean we will hear nothing until then? Why not seek out the replacement now before obligations are made elsewhere? Why not replace asap and just cash Martinez out?

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Hearing he’s getting a raise & extension and promoted to co-DC

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

upload_2023-11-26_20-55-23.gif

InVolNerable and Tar Volon like this.
  4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

String him along until after early signing day to keep him working. Then after that start the process of letting him know he is not likely to be retained. We also don't have a replacement picked out so that creates a problem.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I guess that is the part that bothers me. Shouldn't we have a short list and be contacting them?

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Just out of professional courtesy you usually try not to start contacting assistants until after bowl season. Unless you are building a new staff altogether but even that is frowned upon. Banks probably has a few guys in mind but I doubt we hear anything for at least a few weeks.

7. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Doesn’t Banks coach the safeties himself?

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

We aren't looking for a safeties coach. Would be looking for a CBs coach.

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I seriously doubt Heup would wait for the contract to actually expire before having the replacement hire made. He might not have it yet but he doesn’t have to wait until the contract is done to make a hire effective the day after his ends.

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

This is all wishful thinking

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

:(

12. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

IIRC there was similar displeasure when Willie was here the first time under Butch "[uck fay]ing" Jones.

If it is any consolation my SiL despised his efforts when he was with the dawgs.

13. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Agree. Team finished 24th nationally in ESPN’s defensive efficiency ratings. Someone may end up leaving on their own but I don’t see anyone getting fired.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

yeah that along with injuries likely keep Banks at UT. Maybe they can work on some things and get us off the field but I have no confidence. Defense plays with less instinct at all 3 levels than about any defense I’ve seen at UT. Somebody is open every pass play

15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Maybe we’re being harsh with all the injuries they suffered, but it’s hard not to think a lot of those numbers stem from having some terrible offenses on the schedule this year.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I don't care what the numbers say, having actually watched the defense they were atrocious all year against any team with a pulse.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

"Lies, damn lies, and statistics"

justingroves likes this.
  18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We ended up 6th in tfls and 8th in sacks along with the ranking mentioned. We all saw the issues with 3rd downs and horrible telegraphed defenses dropping 27 and 19 into coverage. No idea how a defense is ranked high when we gave up ~ 43/50 passing and 23/30 on 3rd downs in 3 big games, just in the first half. Teams generally did what they wanted and just played the clock in 2nd halves.
    Just get the sense with the rankings and injuries, Banks will be back.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

The same way we were ranked so terribly the season before: number of possessions. Teams grinded out huge amounts of clock but the number of possessions, and thus total yards, were reduced. We look at offense and defense as separate things, but one greatly influences the other when looking at totals rather than percentages.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hopefully Banks gets the Duke job

VOLinDAWGland, TDVol1989 and zehr27 like this.