Willie Martinez's future

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Nov 26, 2023.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Sounds like they hired his replacement back in the summer with his retirement in mind. Cory Robinson.

2. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

So you are saying we may actually have a leadership team capable of having an actual transition plan that is not dependent on external hires with agents?

I ain't mad.

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Who be Cory Robinson?

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Ex Big ten guy. Let contract expire from the saints. Probably an upgrade but not by much

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

6. Ssmiff

sounds great. Honestly I don’t know how there’s such a difference in db coaches. They all do the same drills and techniques for most part…hips, feet, etc. Think more of it comes down to having the horses with confidence and playing a scheme that doesn’t make them think, along with a coach who can help them anticipate better

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Also he wasn't fired. He let his contract expire but he wasn't going to get a new deal anyway. He was such a hot commodity he came and worked for us as an analyst. Pretty sure him and Banks know each other from his days in the Big 10.

8. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

9. Ssmiff

From nfl dbs coach to defensive analyst in college is a weird jump, unless he just prefers college, which is possible. I’d enjoy college more as a coach seeing kids develop before they become pre madonnas

10. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I read a link where it said he ran an underprivileged youth football thing in Baltimore.

He also coached in the Senior Bowl.

My initial read, is he might enjoy coaching/mentoring college/youth more than adults. Hard to say without knowing/talking to the guy.

Ssmiff likes this.
  11. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Re: Martinez. If I was a 60 year old college coach making the money he has made over the last 10 years, I'd probably retire. And a luxurious retirement at that.

Hell, I retired making a fraction of what he did. Not because I did not enjoy my job or the money, but because I wanted to enjoy my last 20-30 years with my wife/kids/grandkids while physically/mentally able.

VOLinDAWGland and Memtownvol like this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

When a Willie Martinez coached corner turns his head to find a ball, it goes against everything he coaches

BigOrangeBeech likes this.
  13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Which I will never in a million years understand. Ever.

NorrisAlan and Poppa T like this.
  14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Can't keep your eyes on the thighs if you are looking for the ball.

15. Ssmiff

never understand why we watch a db finally do it and make a play then next few times, doesn’t. Don’t think we look at their eyes.

16. Ssmiff

Just read our defense gave up 2nd fewest ppg since 2010. Another reason why I don’t see Heupel moving from Banks.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Purely about teams intentionally shortening games, and games also literally being shorter this year due to rule changes.

NorrisAlan and Tar Volon like this.
  18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I would like to see a points per possession analysis.

Memtownvol likes this.
  19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I'm to the point ... just fix it. Athletes, scheme, coaching, whatever. Just fix it.

NorrisAlan and justingroves like this.
  20. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Price says he wouldn’t be surprised to see WM return next year.