New NCAA Investigation…

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Jan 30, 2024.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I met her once when she spoke to our grad class about a paper she wrote (which was kind of lame) and I thought she was really down to earth and likeable but also not a big enough personality for the job. Dumb me.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

like she just seemed like a random mom.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think the problem with a lot of these people in these positions is they are as far from down to earth as you can be

SetVol13 and A-Smith like this.
  4. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

She’s about to be the NCAA’s daddy

justingroves likes this.
  5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

that's true.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. NCAA generally doesn't comment on specific infractions cases? Then who talked to Forde? Who talked to the NYT? This is bullshit, demonstrably.
    2. Consistent rules? SCOTUS ruling allowing NIL was years ago. The "guidance" (not called rules!) has changed multiple times a year ever since. And you are retroactively enforcing them. That is the opposite of consistency, and literally not "violating" if they didn't exist to be violated.
    3. The NCAA has exacerbated things and is the root cause of the "wild wild west" atmosphere. It's you. It has been. It continues to be.
    4. Your members, even if you portray them accurately, do not trump state and Federal LAW, you scoundrels.
    5. Did the members you mention request this course of action? If so, does it give them a competitive advantage? You clowns. Or should I say dawgs.

NorrisAlan, Poppa T and warhammer like this.
  7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

AA opened the door. States of TN and VA just decided to bust it open once given a reason to.

This is what they get for sitting with their heads stuck up their own asses for 30 years while CFB became bigger and bigger and it was inevitably going to happen.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

They woke up this week with all the possibilities in the world, and chose to eat wet cement. All they had to do was meet with the schools on their list and talk things out for going forward under current guidance. But no. They didn't want to lead, they wanted to bully.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Making sure nil isn’t used as a recruiting tool. Come on.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

They're shrugging off a 9-0 ruling to continue to break the law.

NorrisAlan and warhammer like this.
  11. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Watershed

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I suspect (I could be wrong) that the members would have welcomed the opportunity to "set the rules".

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

If that's their statement, it sounds like they think they're going to lose.

15. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I’ve read a lot dumb [uck fay]ing bullshit on the internet, but after reading that I think there’s a new leader in the clubhouse. What the actual [uck fay] do they think NIL is used for!? The AG must be licking their lips at the thought of tearing these [uck fay]ing imbeciles apart.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

He makes some good points, but I think he discounts or overlooks a couple of things. He talks about about the Alston ruling and describes it correctly, but the court has had a penchant for ruling narrowly in a lot of cases over the last few years. Kavanaugh went out of his way in his concurrence to drag the NCAA, and his opinion isn't prevailing, but it is published and a signal that there are those in the judiciary who will not look upon the NCAA with favor in this situation.

Also, his talk of members suing the association kind of glosses over the way these rules and guidance actually came to be and completely ignores the impossibility of their position of making things retroactively enforceable. He may be correct that this looks bad, but unless a court dismisses the suits up front or prevents any argument of the rules because the states are representing member institutions, they'll have a hard time defending their rules and how and when they were implemented.

Granted this dude is probably a lot smarter than me and definitely knows more about legal stuff, but like a lot of folks, I try to follow SCOTUS rulings, pay attention to other cases when I can, and have slept at a Holiday Inn Express (I even have a membership).

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nothing less representative of college athletics than Harvard people.

warhammer and yont sum iss? like this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I love this guy. He's just wonderful.