New NCAA Investigation…

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Jan 30, 2024.

1. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Eh idk, one step closer to a fed not making it down from Rocky Top.

A-Smith, warhammer and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The NCAA will not survive regular contact with the DOJ. They will get policed right out of existence. Because they operate like a cartel.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I'm more impressed that the issue brought these two together, not their solution.

justingroves and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  4. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not shocked at all.

6. CardinalVol

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Uh, the NCAA has to be sweating. The judge said the states are likely to succeed on the merits due to the Sherman Act, and that the reason he didn't grant the TRO was because the damage was monetary, and thus "repairable." I read that to mean the NCAA may be able to be sued by athletes for damages.

A-Smith, KennyR and zehr27 like this.
  8. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Not sure we really needed a TRO before the 13th. Always felt like a throw shit against the wall and see what sticks strategy to that. I’m not a lawyer though.

9. CardinalVol

He all but told them game over.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think even if you don't get it, it would undermine your argument not to consider the effect it could have even right now to athletes ahead of national signing day.

SetVol13 likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Seems like TRO filing coulda been as much of a warning shot as anything, letting the ncaa know it’s a different ballgame now.

KennyR, NorrisAlan and SetVol13 like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, he sounds like he posts here. And I think the AG's have a lot more juice than they've put out front. There are so many angles on how wrong the NCAA is.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Someone is going to have explain that monetary damages are repairable part to me like I'm a 4 year old before I can agree with it. Adult me has some problems with this claim. Still not entirely disappointed.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not a lawyer, but he is saying monetary damage has a remedy: money. I.e. they can collect damages from the NCAA.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That's sounds good, but it's not going to be poof, voila: there's your money.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nope. But judges and lawyers don't care about that aspect.

warhammer likes this.
  17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Thanks, LawVol!

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The DOJ getting involved might be the best way to stop southern dominance over football.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just want them to step in and smack the ncaa with the hand of God and then go away, should that be needed.

But doj may not even be needed. The NCAA is caught in a corner. They may get sued or legislated right out of existence.

20. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I think the AG did not prove "irreparable harm". That is the hurdle that they had to clear to get a Temporary Restraining Order.
    They failed.

That is the law as written, if I am not mistaken. I will defer to any Bar certified attorney.

Here is the definition.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/irreparable_harm

The judge rules on the law, not whether we agree with it or not.