New NCAA Investigation…

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Jan 30, 2024.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Mars is attorney for Spyre, right?

4. CardinalVol

Yes.

Poppa T likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wasn't this always an exploitable weakness of the NCAA? Do everything through lawyers and invoke client-attorney privilege? Seems like that was the meat market trick. Which just shows how ineffective their rules are.

sellsman11, Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I think their rules were effective because the members allowed them to be until they didn't.

That had years to meet with schools and mutually agree on how to handle NIL after SCOTUS. But they did not.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That's my understanding as well, but I'm sure the members voted on whatever procedure gave them this authority. I'm not saying it's a good defense. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate.

8. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I'm sure they did. How they applied it to this case is interesting and probably goes back their hubris and arrogance in their past governance. How defendable? I would not want to be a NCAA attorney.

The case at hand with the TN and VA Attorneys General relative to the application of the antitrust ruling by SCOTUS and the "discrepancy" between a States' laws and NCAA rules/guidance will be interesting.

9. CardinalVol

I figure either this judge rules for us or we'll be adding a third verse to Rocky Top about a federal judge that went missing.

10. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

NLRB rules that Dartmouth basketball players are employees of the college and can unionize.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This is the mark of a group that thinks they have infinite power. It's time to change that.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Dominos are falling

13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Dartmouth is part of the Ivy League and a Private college, right?

Northwestern is also Private (I think) and the football players failed in their NLRB case back some years ago.

Things are about to get real relative to student-athletes are employees and unions, especially at Public institutions in Right-to-Work states. The legal maneuvering will be mind boggling.

This is the point I think Sankey was trying to make to NCAA regarding more important stuff than revenge on UT.

Memtownvol likes this.
  14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's private, and the results of the case make you think Dooley could have been representing the players.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ard-wanting-athletes-classified-as-employees/

15. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

These guys are doing what they love too, which is to be obnoxious mouthpieces for the NCAA as the NCAA nears the bottom of the ocean.

16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

warhammer likes this.
  17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Blackburn and Booker teaming up against the NCAA was not on my bingo card. I think it's time for the NCAA to waive the white flag, no one has their back.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Personally, I'm opposed to their proposed legislation.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  19. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Man I’m already tired of hearing/talking about this shit. [uck fay] the NCAA.

sellsman11, utvol0427 and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Having the DoJ get involved policing the NCAA is not the cure for this problem.

warhammer and Memtownvol like this.