23-24 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Jul 2, 2023.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I disagree wholeheartedly. You’ve got 3 other people on the floor (DK, Vescovi, ZZ) you prefer taking that shot, and you’ve got 10 full seconds left. And he was contested.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Welp. Torn between "this would've been gravy after winning the conference" and "I wanted to sweep these bastards." Overall, it's honestly a bit of both.

3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

It looked like dominoes. ZZ looking for Knecht, he wipes out, pass to Santi, he's covered, ball goes to the corner to JJJ and it's a decent look

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Cap tip to them. About the only team out there that could do that to us.

Tar Volon likes this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The whole thing looked idiotic from step one. We are down 3, 21 seconds left, and ZZ just catches the inbound and holds it? Why? How? There isn’t enough time for that shit.

I have no idea how we weren’t driving downhill the moment we got the ball in. Force them to contest and risk putting you on the line, either shooting 2 or with a chance for the 3 pt play to tie. Seems like common sense. They were already shitting down their leg. Take it right at them.

utvol0427 likes this.
  6. Tar Volon

Unless Auburn slips up, I think the three seed in the SECT is going to go down to the seventh tiebreaker, and Alabama will win because they're 1-1 against Florida and Auburn is 0-1.

Probable SECT path will be Mississippi State -> Auburn -> Kentucky. That's. . . a really tough three days. If we can run that gauntlet, I think we at least put ourselves in the mix for the last one seed, though I kinda expect it to go to Arizona unless they lose.

Looking at bracket math, a 2 would probably put us in Dallas opposite Houston. The next two Big 12 teams (Iowa State and Baylor) can't go in that region, so the three seed presumably ends up being either Kansas or Duke. Final Four run was never going to be easy.

7. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

Bullshit. They shot almost 52 percent from 3 today. Most games they shoot 40 percent. Big difference

8. Tar Volon

Actually. . . Knoxville is closer to Detroit than Dallas. Why does every bracketologist ever think we're going to Dallas?

9. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I think Arizona definitely gets the 1 seed now. The SECT won't factor in. The committee got what they wanted today to be able to put them on the 1 line.

TennTradition likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

probably but they didn’t play Ky and Bama twice or they would have 2+ more losses

11. Tar Volon

If they lose and we don't, I don't see how we don't pass them. But I think they control their own destiny at this point.

Indy likes this.
  12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

One of the most brutal days of Tennessee basketball I can remember.

13. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

And they normally shoot better from two than they did today. And they normally get to the line more than they did today. Point is, their offense is amazing. They’re averaging 91 ppg the last five weeks. If their defense was merely above average, they’d be the heavy favorite to win the title. But since their defense is below average, there’s a little to no chance of that happening.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

come on man. You must not have much of a memory. Woulda been “brutal” if it cost us the sec title or double bye

15. Tar Volon

Even with both teams coming up short in the final minute, I still can't put it up against the tournament losses to Ohio State, Michigan State, Loyola-Chicago, or Michigan. Probably not FAU either.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Huh?

17. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Lose to your biggest rival at home and Lady Vols lose on a last second 3 to USCjr.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I fully expect it to be back to conference tournaments not mattering. They could lose in the first round of theirs and we could win ours. If they finish the regular season with a win, they’re the 1.

imo of course.

19. Tar Volon

That would be extremely stupid, but it wouldn't be the first time the committee has been stupid.

Honestly I have a hard time seeing us getting out of Nashville unscathed. If we make it to Sunday, it'll (probably) be seven straight Q1 games.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm talking in the manner of losses. Lose to your rival when they go apeshit and the Ladies lose on a garbage bank three by undefeated #1. I can't remember a day in which the basketball gods just decided we weren't going to win, no matter what.