23-24 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Jul 2, 2023.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yeah I don’t understand why he’s not getting five open looks a game (and making three of them) from defenses collapsing on Knecht

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, it’s definitely been an odd shift. 7 less minutes per game - makes sense with our rotation. Half the shots but similar percentages compared to last year. You’d like to see higher percentages on lower volume, but also harder to get a rhythm when you’re not “the guy” anymore.

But it also feels like we go to him a lot less. When’s the last time you saw us draw up a play specifically to get him a shot? Feels like it doesn’t happen anymore, and the guy was a 37%, volume 3 point shooter last season. Like that last possession, for example. Would have been the perfect chance with everyone in the arena assuming we’d go to DK. But we just haven’t gone to Santi much at all this season.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

he had 3-4 good looks today. Just off. I mentioned early in the season his release and spin was off and it still is off

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Knecht just isn’t a great, or even good passer. Lacks vision and average accuracy. If he was a better passer, he would absolutely torch those double teams, as well as drive and kick more.

Wish he would have developed it more this season, but at the same time, can’t blame him for focusing elsewhere. What he needs for the next level is better defense (and cutting, which he’s at least decent at now). He won’t be quick enough to drive as much at the next level, and his size won’t be as much of a factor because everyone is huge. Needs to be a knock down 3 point shooter, average or better defender, and a good cutter.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why hasn’t Barnes worked that out with him over the course of the season?

6. Ssmiff

I don’t know. Games are different than practice and players get the yips on all levels.

7. Ssmiff

Don’t really agree. The doubles come 40 feet from the basket and the only pass is to the wing or to a center who is 25 feet from the basket. As far as him driving and kicking out, once he’s got a lane there’s really no reason to as well as he can finish.

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

He lost one on a double today, but usually he passes out just fine and we have a brief numbers advantage. Obviously he’s not really a drive-and-kick guy, but he passes fine along the perimeter.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

We could’ve done quite a few things better but I still feel like that effort wins 9 out of 10. It just happened to be the 1 tonight.

SetVol13 likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

He took a travel on one I recall but was shoved twice prior to the travel.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I didn’t even think he traveled. Might have been out on him, but also could have been a foul.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I thought he got beat to hell too in the first half. That’s fine though, we just call touch fouls 40 feet from the basket to make up for it

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Teams show two against him in a number of spots. And even when it’s 40 feet from the basket, rarely does he see the pass quickly enough to make the defense pay.

A guy who has the ball as much as DK and can score like him would be averaging more than 1.8 assists a game if he was a good passer. He’s averaging less than Santi, the same as JJJ, and only half an assist more a game that Mashack. He probably has the ball in his hands as much as the 3 of them combined on average.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

He’s not throwing the ball out of bounds or anything, but there were at least 3 or 4 passes from him today that were “off.” I remember one, in particular, where Santi was starting the cut, and DK threw it high and a little behind him, ruining the move to the basket.

It’s not the end of the world or anything. Just don’t think he’s a good passer.

15. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Probably doesn’t last, but Arizona is down 4 to USC at the half.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't even want to think about seeding at at time like this

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Feels like Rick’s hard rule about sitting guys with 2 fouls hurts us from time to time. Tonight was probably a strong example. ZZ picked up his 2nd with 8 to go in the 1st, and I don’t think we saw him again until after half time.

He finished the game with 2 fouls.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Even if they lose, UNC overtakes us, right? We probably land 5th at best.

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Uh oh, Arizona.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Well, that one looks all but over. Will be curious to see how this changes things. Would love for UNC to take our 1 and for us to slide into the 2 in Charlotte if Dickinson is out and Kansas holds that 3 spot.