23-24 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Jul 2, 2023.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Could be better, could be worse. Biggest problem is at the five, where Aidoo/Awaka are 2/9 and Kalkbrenner is 4/5. If we can find a way to reverse that in the second half, our path to victory becomes much clearer. We forced turnovers on four of their first eight possessions and haven't forced another one since, so they're settling in a bit but we could probably be a bit more active on defense.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We aren't challenging it with anyone. ZZ is settling for the floater. Knecht is pulling up just inside the 3 point line.

We should have been getting Knecht switched on to the big guy and driving it to the rim from the beginning. Force him to contest at the rim. He'll get some blocks, but not every time.

3. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Aidoo looking at everything but his guy. But again, it isn’t a meltdown. Saved our fouls. My BVS is relatively low right now. Plenty to fix but we played Dilione and Carr. So I’ll take it

4. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I currently have almost no faith in Aidoo.

utvol0427 likes this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If we are going to keep throwing up long twos, we might as well just start chucking up more three's.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Aidoo is a monster when he has 2 inches on his guy. Otherwise, hes plays small.

7. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

Biggest reason for the lack of turnovers after the start is Gainey and Mashack picking up two fouls

8. Customtaco

Customtaco Member

Our defense was elite with mashack. Went down after that.

OneForVol likes this.
  9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Did JJJ disappear, or did we sit him forever in the 2nd part of that half? Felt like I didn't see him out there once we started seeing the freshmen.

10. Tar Volon

We're shooting 10-foot jumpers and making 40% of them. They're throwing up airballs at the end of a possession about 20% of the time and making about 60% of the rest.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Knecht 4/10 from the field and 1/2 from 3. Shoot. More. Three's.

Tar Volon likes this.
  12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hope we start bringing other guys to the dunker spot on some of pick and roll plays where we get ZZ/DK switched onto the big guy.

13. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

It’s kind of a win that Creighton didn’t separate when we had the freshman guards in, tbh.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, [uck fay] Duke's lucky bull shit. Of all teams, how are they the team that benefits from such a huge injury?

15. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

He’s got to avoid the early 3rd foul this half.

16. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

That sucks ass for Houston. Man.

17. Tar Volon

We had three extra possessions that half (+2 turnovers, +1 offensive rebounds). Would love to see that number creep up higher in the second half. This is a place we should have a noticeable edge.

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

harder to rebound on a team that plays defense like they do. When the shot goes up they will have 5 between the rim and offensive players

19. Tar Volon

They don't give up a lot there. If we start shooting threes, we may hit more long rebounds, I dunno. Turnover margin should be better than 2 in a half though. They can be had there.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

At 6'11, 240, Aidoo has recently shot:

36% against UK
    33% against Miss St
    33% against Texas
    And is currently shooting 29% against Creighton