24-25 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tar Volon, Mar 31, 2024.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I have come to the conclusion that I love NIL and hate the portal, Knecht notwithstanding.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It’s one of those things, I pretty much know it’s better for those involved, which is what’s most important, but it’s not better for the fan experience

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

wish there was a salary cap or something though. I don’t know. Portal/handlers/nil deals looking for highest bidder just sucks. Knecht a different type of person and player than a lot of the portal guys. His work ethic is elite. Hes always been overlooked. He had no handler and different motivation. There are players out there who avg 6 pts with handlers looking for 6 figure deals. Big man asking for 7 figures. Its crazy. And maybe 1000 of these kids will end up playing nowhere.

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm probably in the minority on this, but as long as we still get games like Tennessee/Kentucky in basketball and TSIO in football, it doesn't really bother me as a fan. I don't care who is wearing the orange jersey as long as they are going against our big rivals.

Conference expansion/realignment is much more likely to impact my fan experience than the transfer portal. If we lose games like the TSIO every year so we can add some ACC teams to the conference, that's when my give a shit will start going away.

Poppa T likes this.
  5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Also, coaches that complain about the portal/NIL/handlers that have worked with their agent to take bigger/better/higher paying jobs numerous times in their career or manipulated a raise out of their employer is peak comedy.

Poppa T and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. Ssmiff

Many of those coaches have proven themselves though. Many of the portal players haven’t and are asking more than the going rate for 4 buckets in 2 years.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Definitely, but these players have every right to chase more money or a better opportunity. If they can find a school willing to pay them what they are asking, good for them. It may work for some and some may fall on their face, but that's life. Same consequences for any of us at that age making college/job decisions.

Coaches need to quit [itch bay]ing about it, though. You make millions to coach a game, figure it out and let these guys do what they think is best for them and their family.

The Dooz and Poppa T like this.
  8. Ssmiff

good coaches want time to build relationships, develop watch the players they’ve molded go from kids to grown men. Imo nil taking that away for so many is more of a factor in coaches nil opinions than them not wanting players and families to make money.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This.

Poppa T likes this.
  10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

*Unless they get a better job offer.

SetVol13 and Unimane like this.
  11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The stuff about Aidoo looking at UK true? Feels like a “Jrue Holiday to the Celtics” level transition.

And still, I see our fans responding as if it’s addition by subtraction.

12. Ssmiff

Again not the Ky big man I’m used to us having to deal with. Be physical and sit on his left hook on the block and If he faces up he’s going to shoot because he can’t dribble.

13. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

14. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

So what if it makes their job more "challenging"? Harder? They are making millions and are more than well compensated. They need to deal with it.

"Good" coaches who develop the kids will sell it, prove it (and put a value on it), e.g., full compensation package vs pay only. Some kids will jump for the cash some will stay, just like in the Private sector.

SetVol13 likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

It’s just a discussion. Are they not allowed to say it’s a challenging environment? It’s the truth. More is out of their hands with NIL/portal combos No HS or college coaches have ever had to deal with this before and they have no choice except dealing with it. Coaches are paid to win and have won by developing but now have to change things up and move on from what brought them success for 3-4 decades. Here we are as fans hoping we can pay a couple kids for a year or 2 who never considered UT before.

16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I don't think it entirely out of their hands. It may be harder than the $100 handshakes. It maybe more challenging. Coaches are more than very well compensated. Much more than most managers in the Private sector working to retain the best talent.

Sure they can whine about it. I, personally, as a "fan" don't care to hear them whinge that is too hard. They make too much money for me to give a tinker's damn. Especially those that are losing their advantage because an under-the-table system favored them.

SetVol13, utvol0427 and NorrisAlan like this.
  17. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okpara of Ohio State is visiting. He sure looks to be a straight replacement of Aidoo.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Really looking like we’re getting the Croatian guy. Take both him and Okpara?

20. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Yea, Croatian guy is a 4. Okpara is a true 5 who will bring needed toughness to that position. Not sure where Awaka fits should he choose to return.