Airplane Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by MWR, Nov 15, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

The history I've read considers the coordinated tactics of US pilots to be what gave them an edge even when in inferior planes for the circumstances. Japanese squadron tactics were rigid and not responsive.

2. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

This is correct, I was saying that in opposition to:

"If a US pilot comes across a veteran in an 109 or a zero, they're embarrassed... as in shot down"

The IJN was significantly more combat and tactically experienced than the USN in 1942.. given they'd been at war since 1937. The US, specifically guys like McCampbell and Thach (especially Thach), used quality pilots and superior tactics to beat a more experienced and better equipped foe.

This isn't to say the US didn't have quality and experienced pilots... just none of them had seen meaningful combat outside of the Flying Tigers... which were all USAAC.

3. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

This. The Germans had good middle and upper management but at the very top, they suffered from Botch Jones level incompetence. The BoB and the Russian campaign bear this out irrefutably.

4. MWR

MWR Contributor

I think I said he COULD get embarrassed.

5. MWR

MWR Contributor

Here's an example of what I was talking about. This is a quote from a man who was flying over Germany in the cockpit of a P-51, accepted by many as the best fighter of the war.

Lt. George Behling, Jr. wrote:
    “I bank to the left and look behind. There is a plane on my tail, and it isn’t my wing man. It has a large radial engine and is easily identifiable as Fw 190. Left rudder, left stick, more throttle, I’ve got to outrun him. I see his cannon bursts, but apparently he can’t lead me enough. I pull it into a tighter turn, feeling so many g’s I can hardly move my head - the stick goes limp, I’m spinning. I kick right rudder hard, the plane stops spinning. I’m flying again. I turn to the right to look behind, the son of a [itch bay] is still there. He followed me through a spin and 10,000 feet. It can’t be. These German pilots are supposed to be under-trained, wet behind the ears kids.”

George Behling had tangled with a highly skilled pilot, but maybe not such a good gunner, since he got no hits on the gyrating P-51. However, the victory went to the 190- pilot, as, during a full power dive, Behling’s engine failed and he set Chi Lassie down l)n its belly and began an eventful three months in an enemy stockade.