POLITICS Dominican Republic

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Savage Orange, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yeah the food overall wqs pretty bland. What got me was late afternoon pool bar would run out of their cheap liquor and not replace. Whatever we ordered, the bartender would basically take whatever he had left and try to make it look the same. Some of the nastiest stuff ive ever tasted. When no vodka, use Gin right.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Then what is the fascination with the DR? Why not go to some other island?

3. Ssmiff

We went for a wedding. Plus I wanted to go and see. Hard Rock was nice. Gambled a little with some really drunk russians who seemed to only know "blakajaka" in English. Ocean was fun. Dont boogie board. Boards are heavy duty and a hard gut punch. Beach drinks under a tree watching volleyball was cool.
    Getting decked out for dinner everynight to go eat something that tastes the same got old.
    I had to skip the golf trip this year but the group went to Teeth of the Dog and stayed in 2 big houses. They had a good time and were planning on going back next year but obviously arent now. Before all this news came out

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

It's the perfect combination of beach and mountains. The resorts are mostly all inclusive, so you rarely leave your little spot on the island. And the women are the perfect color of cinnamon, with beautiful round butts.

5. NorrisAlan

I'm listening.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

And nothing else.

kmf600 and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Why am I thinking you got injured somehow here?

kmf600 likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

I used good judgement. My middle son not so much. It tboned him and he basically pole vaulted without using his hands.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Must have been the bad liquor.

kmf600 likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I had some sort of bbq goat that is still the best goat I have ever tasted by a mile. fell off the bone. I had chicken so good I threw a piece to a live chicken and it ate it with enthusiasm.

they have good food, leave the walls and join the people.

kmf600 likes this.
  11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

When I was working in St. Croix, there were a couple of places that had amazing chicken and goat. We went to a real shithole on the side of a road in the middle of nowhere, one of our guys were like, I'm not eating here, they have no power, and sure as hell don't have refrigerators. I'm like, look around dude, there's love chickens and goats running around all over the place.

12. Ssmiff

There is plenty of good food. But not at the all inclusive resorts,

13. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

This is excellent advice... on any trip to Central America I’ve been on, the most memorable moments are when I was able to get away from the group I was with and spend time with the locals one on one, or in many cases one on a whole lotta folks!! I never felt unsafe or threatened in any way. Quite the opposite actually...

14. chef65

chef65 Contributor

This sounds right. The ecology of the DR can't be much different from the places I visited in the Caribbean. Without deet I couldn't last an hour in the open without at least 15-20 bites. That is hell but it wouldn't surprise me if the danger of the chemicals necessary to prevent it outweighs the risks of dengue, zika, west nile, etc.

15. chef65

chef65 Contributor

CNN recently interviewed a supposed travel authority who claimed that her child had to make a decision as to whether or not to consummate her planned trip to the DR. She said that she had no hesitation in telling her daughter to take the trip. Her reasoning was that of all the American tourists to the DR, only a very small percentage died. I couldn't help but ask myself if this recent uptick in deaths is something we're only now aware of due to recent trends in reporting or if the number of deaths relative to US tourists has spiked in recent years. If it has spiked, I would advise prospective tourists to avoid the DR and instead go to more pricey but more interesting and equally friendly places like the Grenadines and Barbados.

IP likes this.
  16. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

IP likes this.
  17. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

My senior year spring break we went down there to a wildly cheap resort. It looked good from a difference but the food and booze were awful. I could easily buy that we were drinking some bootleg stuff.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

There may have been a time where a "friend" made and stilled liquor. It's not that hard to do here, but I can see where substituting an ingredient here or there could do damage. I used to throw away the first quart or do too, because it was bad. You put your eye over the liquor and if it burns, you throw it out. I mean my friend did.

20. NorrisAlan

India is rampant with alcohol deaths because of shitty bootlegging. While parties will die or get severely ill from it.