Netflix Streaming Recommendations/TV Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he's definitely the best part of the show by far.

justingroves likes this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

He just took a family vacation to the DR in the midst of an American cleansing. Hes not reliable

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I’d watch a Burt Macklin spin off.

Volst53 likes this.
  4. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Robert California was great.
    Not liking Jim and Pam is stupid.
    Michael Scott was a great character, but he's overrated. He's far from what made The Office.
    The last 2 seasons were excellent.
    I can see Andy being divisive. It's the only point I'll cede.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Smart.

Seasons 1 & 2 are before Andy and Swanson really came into their own, and they added Adam Scott and Rob Lowe - so complete wastes.

I don’t think that it was accident that the series pivoted pretty hard to be about more than Poehler after Season 2, and was essentially saved.

And I love Amy Poehler - the poor dumb man’s Tina Fey - but she was terrible in that role / on that show.

6. Tenacious D

Damned fair.

“Dear Canada,
    [uck fay] You.
    - Ron Swanson”

“Are the scissors in your home broken, son?”

Too many to list.

7. Tenacious D

She got that role as a do-over makeup for getting shit-canned from The Office.

She was a completely wasted character, too.

droski likes this.
  8. Tenacious D

Binge watch.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

She's a little hot though

10. Tenacious D

Agree on California.

I like Jim a lot.

Pam is a terrible character who had terrible character, played by a terrible actress and who only got the screen time she had because she was a character in the central plot duo.

Michael didn’t “make the show”, by any means, but without him, that show doesn’t make it out of Season 2. Without him, nothing else is possible. For anyone who watched the BBC version, that was easily the most daunting role to assume, and he nailed it. I loved the BBC version and watched the series premiere of the American one...and when I saw that it was a shot-for-shot remake of the BBC’s first episode, I quit watching until about Season 4. Second runner up for toughest role was Gareth / Dwight, and Wilson played that masterfully, too. The Office begins and ends with Michael and Dwight, and everything else only exists in their orbits. Take any other two characters away, you still have a hit show. Take Wilson / Carrell away, and you don’t have a show at all.

The last 2 seasons were not excellent, by any standard. They weren’t trash, and there are a couple of gems, but I don’t think anyone would agree that they were “excellent” - namely, because they weren’t.

chavisut likes this.
  11. Tenacious D

Big time. I just recently learned that she’s the daughter of Quincy Jones, who produced Thriller, and the same who Tracy Jordan still owes $60k.

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Agreed. Check out a couple of these for instance. Terrible.

justingroves likes this.
  13. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

You're wrong a lot, but you've never been this wrong.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

justingroves and utvol0427 like this.
  15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Pam openly led on Jim while being engaged. Jim openly courted a woman who was engaged. Apparently that’s a great love story

Tenacious D and JT5 like this.
  16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Jim and Pam suck. Keep your goddam marital drama out of my comedy.

They were fine until shit got complicated.

That’s why I loved Seinfeld. They shoulder shrugged every serious situation. That’s how I want my comedy.

InVolNerable and utvol0427 like this.
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah the whole manufactured problems in the later seasons were really annoying

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I have read good things about Stranger Things Season 3. I’m not gonna lie, I’ve been bored as hell through the first 2 episodes. I’m just not as interested in these characters and their manufactured relationship drama as everyone else seems to be. Hopefully the remainder of the season is actually plot focused.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The first 2-3 episodes were pretty slow, but it definitely picks up.

20. Tenacious D

She also flirted with having an affair with the sound guy in the “excellent” final 1-2 seasons of the show. And while Jim was trying to swing two gigs to make a different life for their family - and a dream which she made him regret pursuing, and which almost cost each of them their marriage.

And she lied to become office manager, after failing to make it as a salesperson, and a job which she only had as a result of siphoning off clients from the former office workers whom she had previously convinced were her friends.

And she ditched Jim to go to art school, and was so flirty / leading with a cat there as to compel him to try and convince her to stay in NY. Oh, and she failed at that, too.

And then she picked what seemed to be two random strangers to be the Godparents of her child, and while fully knowing how badly Michael wanted that entirely ceremonial role, or children, and how terribly mistreated he had been in the whole Jan-gets-pregnant fiasco.

And she was only Michael’s friend when it was convenient, or obtained something for her - and he was nothing but loyal - to the point of doting - and immensely happy for her successes.

And she made fun of the girl for being a cheerleader on the Booze Cruise, ostensibly, believing that inept introvert warranted some grand stature on the societal scale.

And she wanted Jim to be happy, but not so much as to keep her emotions to herself, with the diatribe she gave before walking over the coals, and which strained Jim’s relationship with Karen.

And don’t forget that it was her playing hard-to-get which drove Jim to Stamford, and where he met Karen, to begin with.

And don’t also forget her lying to her grandmother about living with Jim, or being pregnant, at her wedding.

Was it a coincidence that Roy was a total [uck fay]-up for the whole time he was with Pam...right up until he got away from Pam? And then he became self-aware and successful? I think not. And even though she clearly didn’t love him, stayed engaged to him for years, and then tried to reconcile with him even after she broke it off?

Or how about how she reacted to Michael dating her mom, and how she tried to railroad each of them from the beginning, despite both being adults and perfectly happy to be dating?

At least with Dwight, Angela, Stanley, Packer, Nelly - hell, even Andy - you knew what you were getting, and there was some semblance of personal honesty there.

The only thing more terrible than the fictitious character she played on that show was her real-life acting - and which was piss-poor, at tip-top best.

droski likes this.