10 Observations On This Tennessee Team After 8 Games.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by LawVol13, Dec 17, 2012.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

1.) Jarnell Stokes is not going to be going pro barring an absolute dominating effort the rest of the season. He just doesn't appear ready.
    2.) Trae Golden is being too much of a facilitator rather than an initiator meaning the attacking Trae Golden we saw against Wichita State is the one we need to see the rest of the season.
    3.) Jordan McRae appears to still be a poor man's Scotty Hopson, woefully inconsistent.
    4.) Josh Richardson is a premier SEC perimeter defender. It's really impressive.
    5.) Kenny Hall's still, well, Kenny Hall.
    6.) D'Montre Edwards looks to be pretty solid offensively, and the Vols need his help, but his continued defensive lapses have limited his playing time.
    7.) Skylar McBee looks to still be hit or miss with the only thing he brings to the table, shooting. He either makes a ton or misses them all.
    8.) Tennessee is an elite defensive team right now. I'd venture to say possibly the best in the SEC. Simply mediocre offense will win plenty of games.
    9.) I've seen many on here refer to Tennessee's offense right now as "Pearlesque." There's nothing wrong with the scheme. When you can't make a shot and the defense focuses all its attention on stopping Jarnell Stokes, cutting and screening can be rendered ineffective when the defense pays no attention to 4 players on the team and only focuses on one. Make some shots, and the offense will look much prettier.
    10.) Tennessee might have found something against Wichita State. Push the ball when the opportunity presents itself and get some easy buckets before the opposing defense gets set. Look for that to continue.

A-Smith likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not as mopey as Hopson on D, though.

3. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Very succinct, Law. Appreciate your contributions to the basketball forum.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I argued for #10 awhile ago. I have no idea why teams walk the ball up the court. Push the ball, look for easy baskets and pull the ball out if there's nothing there. Why waste easy opportunities in order to have to break down a defense on every possession?

5. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

This team can get up and down the court, not sure why anyone would walk the ball up when you know the defense is just going to pack it in and make you take contested jump shots, which is a major weakness for UT.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Why in the world are you posting this on what I presume to be your honeymoon?

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Had a little down time and cranked it out in about 10 minutes while the wife was getting ready to go out for dinner.

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Damn, why were you cranking one out on your honeymoon?

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Solid work.

10. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Hell, he wrote the draft of this during the vows, just got a little preoccupied and didn't push send. Understandable I guess....

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's understandable, that's the ceremony and not the honeymoon.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Don't buy it.

Rehydrating most likely.

13. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

better take her shopping in the morning

14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Congrats, btw