17 games into this

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 5, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Anyway, my thoughts after a lot of football, baseball, good night sleep, an hour of TMNT with the boy, and a boxty and fries for lunch.

The lesson I learned this weekend is when your initial thought of your current head coach's hiring is that the coach you just fired (and was also the worst in school history) managed to beat him by 3 TDs, that he was (at best/"officially") your third option when your incompetent AD was worried more about his own ego than making the hire, and that he was passed over by Kentucky, then it's best to keep these standards as your expectation until consistently proven otherwise. Shame on me for expecting more and getting caught up in hoopla.

I'm no longer mad because it's pointless. I don't hate Butch, Baja, or anyone else on this staff. They did what any other sane person would do when given the opportunity to get a big raise and hold all the leverage in doing so at a historical premier program. I think they genuinely care and want to win, they just are not capable of winning at the highest level. Not many are. It sucks, but that's life. Butch seems like an all right guy who doesn't try to pretend to be a saint or that he's above doing what it takes to compete. He can recruit like a madman and he's able to sell the program. Those are needed things, but I just am no longer confident at all he can win on the field in the SEC.

As most here believe, unless there are massive, drastic changes in style and philosophy, we're eventually going to max out winning 7-9 games under him because the East is tending down and we're eventually going to be able to straight up out-talent a lot of teams. I'm settling in and just accepting the fact we are the new old Ole Miss because the powers that be are ok with it.

2. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

Butch needs to find a young Cutcliffe. I believe he will ride with this OC until the whole staff is fired.

3. CardinalVol

We're going to find out sooner rather than later I am afraid.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Card, I am pretty much lockstep with your thinking.

And until the administration and coaching staff want to show me they are not too stubborn to admit they are doing something wrong, I will give my time and passion to something else.

Like the EPL on Saturday mornings.

5. A CEO type, like a Fulmer, who recruits, motivates, pushes the team in practices, and manages the game well can win in CFB, with good coordinators. Sadly, I think he's going to ride with Jake, and his management of games has been bad, most obviously yesterday afternoon.

6. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

If Butch doesn't want to have to fire his loyal OC, he better start trying to find him a HC gig at a 1-AA or something so he can replace the OC and keep his loyalties.

Better make a damn good hire that can transition the O quickly though. Not sure how many struggling coaches have hit pay dirt by changing OCs

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm so proud of you.
    *sniff*
    *sniff*
    *wipes a single tear from my cheek*

8. JayVols

Wait.

You're off the wagon too?

Holy shit. Butch and company are in more trouble than I thought.

9. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

**** him.

10. JayVols

For the record, I am and will remain madder than hell, so expect to hear me express that- often if not all the time. I apologize in advance for my OCD on the subject, but I won't apologize for my position. I can't just be all "meh" about this.

11. CardinalVol

The ironic part of this is I would not be surprised at all if the went into Oxford and won, just because.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Uh, we aren't beating anyone outside of Vandy this year.

13. CardinalVol

OK

14. JayVols

That would change absolutely nothing for me.

Here is who our AD chose for perhaps the most important coaching hire in recent memory if not ever due to the shit show we are trying to recover from:

[​IMG]

**** you Hart. I hope you choke on that white crusty old man spit that gathers in the corners of your mouth when you're nervous.

**** you Butch and your useless hot air. Go use it to blow your [dadgum] trumpet.

15. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

SEC teams that is.

16. I don't think Jake can get it done. I don't think Jones is doomed. I've always thought he could get us to 9 wins, based on his recruiting, and still do. And he's getting 4 years, so he's not in real trouble. The honeymoon is over though.

Huffman, you're the worst.

17. CardinalVol

Would have to take Ole Miss and a November sweep (including SC Jr.) to even begin change any thoughts for me at this moment.

I'm just saying I'd not be surprised if we somehow pulled it off. They have A&M, then us, then LSU. Sadly, we might be overlooked and I'm not bitter enough yet to say we're not capable of playing spoiler.

18. JayVols

As TD & BPV have correctly pointed out, this is Butch's offense, and he wears a headset with complete veto authority over everything. Butch is the problem. Bajakian sucks, but he is just a symptom of the disease so to speak.

19. dknash

dknash Chieftain

It would appear that Ole Miss has a better defense than Florida based on the common opponent Alabama. Good luck with that.

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Exactly.
    Expecting anything but embarrassment is complete insanity, Card.