1st Grade Social Studies?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Beechervol, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

My oldest daughter came home today with a Social Studies quiz that she took earlier this week. First off, I was not aware that Social Studies was taught to 6 year olds, but anyway.

She was given a piece of construction paper and a bunch of cut out pieces of paper with different figures on em. The construction paper had two columns in which she was to color and glue the different figures into the column they should be in. The 2 columns where "Needs" and "Wants".

Some of her "needs" consisted of: TV, radio, baseball bat, (with ball)
    Some of her "wants" consisted of: food, house, clothes, car

These were not all of the selections, she actually got 70% of them right. After looking at the choices I have to say she did pretty well. I struggled with a few of them.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Social studies is now being taught earlier in Tennessee in an effort to improve a deficiency in geographic knowledge TN students. It's been something that started only in the last five or six years, I think.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

High school kids can't find anything on a map. That's beyond sad.

4. JayVols

If it's not math, science, or English, it doesn't matter anymore. Social studies are not tested in the ACT anymore. We have droves of illiterate kids when it comes to government, history, or geography. I'm doing what I can with my kids, but when I spend so much time reteaching skills that I had in the 4th-5th grade, I can only cover so much. It's scary how little these kids know when I get them as juniors and seniors.

5. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Trying to remember here... I don't think I was ever taught any kind of Social Studies until third grade. Those classes (social studies, geography, government, history etc.) ended up being my favorites.

6. JayVols

I remember having social studies in the 1st grade. I am almost 40 though (I'm a man, I'm 40!). It is just not a priority anymore. If you guys think the percentage of eligible voters that actually vote is sad, or if the voters are ignorant of issues now, just give it a few years. Your minds will be blown. Kids have become fish in a sense. If anything flashy, shiny, sparkly, and makes noise swims by, they are all over it. I have some really sharp kids, don't misunderstand. But, a good p[ortion of the average to below average kids are all about style over substance.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, I can't recall if anyone ever actually showed me where foreign countries are located on a map/globe, but you'd think kids would be naturally interested enough to find out for themselves. There's a map hanging in about every elementary classroom in America and most have a globe, too. You'd think if nothing else kids would glance at it while not listening to the teacher.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

World geography and government were required courses at my high school.

Not sure if changed, but I doubt it.

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

TV isn't a need?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

The content of World Geography has been somewhat changed. What is taught as geography in primary and secondary school is really just a small aspect of the field. They're trying to do a better job of presenting it more fully earlier.

Geography is really the study of the surface of the Earth and everything on it. In other words, what History is to time, Geography is to space.

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Rylee thinks so. Radio too.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I agree with Rylee.

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Eh...I've always thought the drive to get people who are too apathetic to vote to do so was misguided and over sensationalized.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. Quit "rocking the vote." If they have to be "rocked" to go vote, I don't think their opinion is very well informed.

15. JayVols

I see your point. I was speaking more to when these people were a bit older than the rock the vote crowd. They will probably grow out of it. I'm just a bit jaded at the moment. Apathy is one thing that absolutely pisses me off.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Damn kids

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Eh. Apathy makes me ambivalent.

18. JayVols

That post is full of win.